Who is who
The Global Forum for Media Development (GFMD) concluded its fourth World Forum for Media Development in September 2016 with the election of a Steering Committee of five incumbents elected to third and final terms, and 14 new members representing GFMD’s regional caucuses/groups in Africa, Asia, Europe, Latin America and the Caribbean, North America, and the Middle East and North Africa:
- Michael Mirny (USA), Director of the Information and Media Practice at IREX;
- Ricardo Corredor (Colombia), Executive Director of the Gabriel García Márquez New Journalism Foundation (FNPI);
- Denis Chabrol (Guyana), Second Vice President of the Association of Caribbean Media Workers;
- Owais Aslam Ali (Pakistan), Secretary General of Pakistan Press Foundation (PPF);
- Mousa Rimawi (Palestine), Co-founder and Director of the Palestinian Center for Development and Media Freedoms (MADA) since 2006 and chief editor of MADA’s magazine “MADA Al-Elam”;
- Gisèle Khoury (Lebanon), President of the Samir Kassir Foundation;
- Jan Lublinski (Germany), Head of Policy and Concepts at DW Akademie;
- Alan Dreanic (France), Deputy Managing Director of the French media cooperation agency (CFI);
- Diana Senghor (Senegal), Founder of the Panos Institute West Africa (PIWA);
- Tihomir Loza (Bosnia and Herzegovina), Executive Director of the South Eastern European Network for Media Professionalization (SEENPM);
- Cyprian Ndikumana (Burundi), Director General of the Panos Institute;
- Jeanne Bourgault (USA),President and CEO of Internews;
- Kateryna Myasnikova (Ukraine), Executive Director of the Independent Association of Broadcasters;
- Nezar Patria (Indonesia), Digital Editor in Chief at The Jakarta Post, and a chairman of the international network commission at The Indonesian Press Council.
The 14 newly elected members of the Steering Committee join incumbent members:
- Leon Willems (Netherlands), Director for Policy and Programmes of Free Press Unlimited;
- Jesper Højberg (Denmark), Executive Director of International Media Support (IMS);
- James Deane (UK), Director for Policy and Learning at BBC Media Action;
- Joyce Barnathan (USA), President of the International Center for Journalists; and
- Remzi Lani (Albania), Executive Director of the Albanian Media Institute.
The Steering Committee elected Ricardo Corredor (Colombia) to serve as Chair of GFMD. Kateryna Myasnikova (Ukraine) was chosen as Vice-Chair, Jan Lublinski (Germany) as Secretary-General, and Alan Dreanic (France) as Treasurer.