SUBMIT APPLICATIONS FOR SOLUTIONS JOURNALISM NETWORK GRANT PROGRAM
- Any newsroom of any size in any medium anywhere in the world is eligible to apply.
- Freelancers are welcome to propose projects, but their applications must be submitted by a newsroom.
- They prioritize applications that are led by or serve diverse communities.
- They also look favorably on collaborations that have the potential to increase the reach and impact of a project
- Funding amount: $5,000 to $10,000
- Type of funding: Programmatic
- Target countries: Global
- Application languages: English
Applications are now open for the Solutions Journalism Network Grant Program to support reporting projects that pursue solutions stories by investigating “positive deviants” in datasets.
The Solutions Journalism Network is awarding grants to support newsrooms pursuing solutions stories with a focus on positive deviants. They want to help news outlets that see the value of mining data to discover the places that outperform their peers, and then relish the task of digging in to investigate whether novel and replicable responses are driving that better performance. It could be a prison system with significantly lower recidivism compared to other prisons with a comparable inmate population; a state that has reversed poor health outcomes for vulnerable populations; a country that has greatly improved access to clean drinking water while comparable countries lag behind.
- Can be character-driven, but focuses in-depth on a response to a problem and how the response works in meaningful detail
- Focuses on effectiveness, not good intentions, presenting available evidence of results
- Discusses the limitations of the approach
- Seeks to provide insight that others can use
Learn more and apply here.