Content reuse and copyright policy
All content available on the GFMD website is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International license (CC BY-NC-SA 4.0). Under this license, you are free to copy, distribute, and display this work and to make derivative works, provided you:
- Follow the reuse policy detailed in this section of the privacy and content reuse policy;
- Do not use any work(s) derived from this publication for commercial purposes; and
- Distribute any work(s) derived from this publication under a license identical to this one.
If any party would like to republish any of GFMD’s content on a blog, website, or other platform, they can do so by adding the following to any piece of reused content:
“This article was originally published by the Global Forum for Media Development.”
Please include the direct link to the original article page, and indicate the author’s name if applicable as well as the day, month, and year of publication. An example of what a reused GFMD article should include is as follows:
This article was originally published by the Global Forum for Media Development on 1 January 2018.
In case GFMD reuses any piece of content from a third-party, including a member or partner organisation, we will credit the original author and publisher, and state the original publishing date along with a link to the original article in line with our own reuse request.
What personal information do we collect?
You may visit our website and read our content anonymously.
If you upload files to our website, you should avoid uploading images with embedded location data (EXIF GPS) included. Visitors to the website can download and extract any location data from images on the website.
You may withdraw your consent to receive our newsletters at any time by clicking the unsubscribe link in the footer of any email you receive from us. You may also contact us directly to be unsubscribed.
A “cookie” is a file containing an identifier (a string of letters and numbers) that is sent by a web server to a web browser that is stored by your device’s browser. The identifier is then sent back to the server each time the browser requests a page from the server.
- If you leave a comment on our site, you may optionally opt-in to saving your name, email address, and website. If you opt-in, a first-party cookie will be created to store this data. These are for your convenience so that you do not have to fill in your details again when you leave another comment. These cookies will last for one (1) year.
- If you have an account and you log in to our website, we will set a temporary first-party cookie to determine if your browser accepts cookies. This cookie contains no personal data and is discarded when you close your browser.
- When you log in, we will also set up several first-party cookies to save your login information and your screen display choices. Login cookies last for two (2) days, and screen options cookies last for a year. If you select “Remember Me,” your login will persist for two (2) weeks. If you log out of your account, the login cookies will be removed.
- If you edit or publish an article, an additional first-party cookie will be saved in your browser. This cookie includes no personal data and simply indicates the post ID of the article you just edited. It expires after one (1) day
- We use first-party cookies to enable basic functions like page navigation and access to secure areas of the website.
Embedded content from other websites
Articles on this site may include embedded content. This content may resemble our website, or it may behave in a different manner. Where third-party content is embedded into a webpage, it may allow you to be identified by that third-party through browser fingerprinting techniques. However, and while we can make no guarantees, we will endeavour to embed content from third parties that respects your privacy rights.
Links to third-party websites
Within this website we include links to third-party advice that may be of use to our visitors. When using the site, you may gain access to other websites through use of links or hypertext. In using the GFMD website, you agree that GFMD is not responsible for:
- Any advice given by third-party organisations;
- For the content or operation of such third-party websites; or
- Any security or privacy violations incurred by a third-party website
GFMD, to the extent permissible by law, excludes all liability that may arise from your use or reliance on the information or contents contained in the linked site.
Do not track
GFMD does not intentionally track its visitors when they cross to third-party websites, nor do we provide targeted advertising to website visitors.
If you have any privacy or cookie technology-related concerns, you may set your web browser to notify you when you receive a cookie. You may also set your browser to refuse any cookies our site may attempt to send you, as well as enable Do Not Track settings in your browser. For more information on how to opt out, please contact us at: email@example.com.
Data sharing information: Who we share your data with
We never sell, lease, or rent your data.
How long we retain your data
If you leave a comment, the comment and its metadata are retained indefinitely. This is so we can recognise and approve any follow-up comments automatically instead of holding them in a moderation queue.
For users that register on our website, we also store the personal information they provide in their user profile. All users can see, edit, or delete their personal information at any time (except they cannot change their username). Website administrators can also see and edit that information.
If you have an account on this site, or have left comments, you can request to receive an exported file of the personal data we hold about you, including any data you have provided to us. You can also request that we erase any personal data we hold about you. This does not include any data we are obliged to keep for administrative, legal, or security purposes.
Where we send your data
Visitor comments may be checked through an automated spam detection service built into our WordPress theme. We do not currently employ a separate plugin dedicated to spam detection.
While we encourage engagement with our social media profiles, bear in mind that that they are public fora and any information provided will be visible to the public. Therefore, please do not include personal information that you do not want available to the general public.
While some personally identifying information may become available to GFMD through your use of social media, we will not be intentionally collecting, sharing, or storing that information.
Our presence on these social media sites is not intended to endorse, recommend, or favour any third-party company or service provider. We also remind you to comply with each platform’s terms and conditions.
Security information and how we protect your data
We are committed to your security, especially due to the sensitive nature of some of our and our members’ work.
The GFMD website is built on the architecture of WordPress, and employs a number of plugins and themes such as BuddyPress.
All GFMD content is delivered over HTTPS. We also employ other security measures including WordPress plugins such as, but not limited to, iThemes Security and other measures to ensure our website users are protected to the extent that GFMD and our hosting service can provide.
If a data breach occurs, we will work with our host provider, our website developer, and the relevant authorities to investigate the breach. This includes when it occurred and what data (if any) was breached. We will then promptly reach out to impacted parties with information stored in our website database to notify them of the breach and the steps and measures we are taking to both improve our security as well as identify the party(ies) that breached us.
iThemes Security Plugin Data Privacy information
What personal data we collect and why we collect it
Visiting the login page sets a temporary cookie that aids compatibility with some alternate login methods. This cookie contains no personal data and expires after one (1) hour.
The IP address of visitors, user ID of logged in users, and username of login attempts are conditionally logged to check for malicious activity and to protect the site from specific kinds of attacks. Examples of conditions when logging occurs include login attempts, log out requests, requests for suspicious URLs, changes to site content, and password updates. This information is retained for fourteen (14) days.
Who we share your data with
How long we retain your data
Security logs are retained for fourteen (14) days.
Request for rectification or erasure of the personal data
You may at any time request the rectification of inaccurate personal data concerning you.
You may request the erasure of personal data concerning you, and we shall erase the personal data without undue delay, when one of the following applies:
- If the personal data is no longer necessary in relation to the purposes for which they were collected or otherwise processed;
- If you withdraw your consent on which the processing is based, and where there is no other legal ground for the processing;
- If you object to the processing in case the processing is for direct marketing purposes, such as our newsletter;
- If the personal data have been unlawfully processed; or
- If the personal data has to be erased for compliance with a legal obligation.
Where do we store the information?
This privacy and content reuse policy was last updated on 30 March 2019