OFFICIAL LAUNCH OF DC-SUSTAINABILITY AT 14TH INTERNET GOVERNANCE FORUM
On Wednesday, November 27th, The Dynamic Coalition on the Sustainability of Journalism and News Media (DC-Sustainability) will be officially launched at the 14th Internet Governance Forum (IGF) in Berlin.
For the inaugural session, GFMD have organised a roundtable discussion on the impact of the digital economy on democratic societies. It will also take a critical look at both the benefits and harms of a world where global platforms are dominant distributors of news and information as well as major forums for public debate. Specifically, the discussion will focus on the following issues and questions:
- How to monitor digital platforms’ activities, their market behaviours, and the potential consequences of those activities for citizens, journalists, news media organisations, and advertisers.
- Strategies to address regulatory imbalances – i.e., what are new approaches to the regulation of digital spaces?
- How to better inform consumers/citizens of their rights when dealing with digital platforms.
- What are the mechanisms that would support and sustain choice and quality of news and journalism in digital spaces?
- Market power and behaviour of digital advertising’s two most-dominant companies, Google and Facebook, what can be done to address competition barriers, and how to promote plurality, sustainability, and diversity as well as overall consumer choices.
Moderated by GFMD’s Executive Director, Mira Milosevic, speakers in the session will include:
- Hossein Derakhshan, London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE)
- Xianhong Hu, UNESCO
- Sofia Jaramillo Otoya, UC Irvine School of Law
- Courtney Radsch, Committee to Protect Journalists (CPJ)
More information about the session can be found here.