MID-TERM EVALUATION CONSULTANT INTERNEWS GLOBAL TECHNOLOGY PROGRAMME
Short-Term Consultancy – Mid-Term Evaluator – Global Technology Programs
Internews empowers people worldwide with the trustworthy, high-quality news and information they need to make informed decisions, participate in their communities, and hold power to account. Our vision is to unleash human potential everywhere by turning on the bright light of information.
For more than 35 years, in more than 100 countries, Internews has worked to build healthy media and information environments where they are most needed. We have proudly incubated hundreds of sustainable organizations, bolstered the skills of thousands of media professionals, activists, and citizens, and helped these partners reach millions of people with quality, local information.
About the Opportunity
Our team is looking for an external evaluator for a US government funded project that is focused on equipping at-risk organizations with localized expertise, resources, and tools to mitigate digital attacks. The contractor will conduct a midterm evaluation assessing the performance and success of the Adoptable Digital and Organizational Protections by Transforming and Building Long-term Ecosystems (ADOPTABLE) project, as well as the project team’s overall approach. We anticipate this work to take 12-15 days. The output will be a written report summarizing the findings and recommendations for improving future work.
We are hoping to move quickly with the hiring process and identify evaluator(s) no later than the end of November. The evaluation and report should be completed no later than 29 January 2020.
Human rights organizations around the globe continue to face ongoing and increasing digital security threats from state and non-state actors. The ADOPTABLE project was designed to help these at-risk organizations access relevant resources that will allow them to continue operating safely.
The project consists of four main components:
- Supporting regional partners in Latin America, Sub-Saharan Africa, and Eastern Europe to become regionally recognized centers of expertise on organizational security and build out local and regional ecosystems of organizational security auditors.
- Supporting organizational security audits and/or engagements in each of the target regions and providing direct financial support for audited organizations to implement the mitigation strategies outlined during or immediately after the audits.
- Bringing together digital security trainers, organizational security auditors, UX designers, Accessibility experts, and open source tool developers to continue building feedback collection mechanisms that ensure at-risk users have a voice in the design and development of open source privacy and security tools.
- Providing support to privacy and security tools teams, enabling them to work with UX and accessibility experts to implement human-centered, usability-focused tool improvements.
Ultimately, we believe that with more localized tools and stronger local support, at-risk organizations will be better equipped to withstand the digital attacks and surveillance they currently face. To learn more about the ADOPTABLE project, visit our blog.
This position is based remotely. Candidates from around the globe are invited to apply.
Scope of Work
- Consolidate results by synthesizing past reports as well as collecting new data through a survey, interviews with key staff, partners, and trainers.
- Capture lessons learned and effectiveness of the project. In addition to reporting what the project delivered, it is also important to learn from how it operated and whether it is on track to meet all objectives. By interviewing project staff and partners about how the work unfolded, the evaluation will seek to understand operational challenges and identify where things could have been handled better or differently.
- Formulate recommendations. The evaluation should gather lessons from experience in light of emerging trends and issues in the open source developer, digital security trainer, and organizational security communities, capturing and consolidating these as recommendations. Recommendations will be prepared in collaboration with Internews staff to ensure they are relevant and useful.
The evaluation will comprise an estimated 12-15 days of work, and involve the following elements:
- Desk review (2-3 days). This will involve reviewing quarterlies and other documentation that the ADOPTABLE project produced over the last year to track the evolution of the project as a whole.
- Data collection (3-5 days). In order to gather feedback from a wide range of project participants, formulate a survey or questionnaire to be disseminated with project partners, key communities, and key project stakeholders. Additionally, conduct a minimum of 6-8 in-depth interviews with project staff, subgrantees, and/or beneficiaries. Internews will provide introductions as necessary.
- Writing the report (5-7 days). Outside of the work to analyze interviews and compile information from documentation, approximately 5-7 days will be needed to draft the report.
The final project will be a 10-2 page report (not including appendices). The body of the report will provide a narrative description of the results achieved, operational lessons, and recommendations. Where appropriate, it will also include illustrative graphs and charts that provide useful summaries of project data. Appendices will provide details such as cross tabulations from reviewing quarterly reports and interviews, as well as a list of people interviewed, and survey results (if any), so readers can clearly see the data that supports the findings and conclusions.
Qualifications We’re Looking For:
- Familiarity with various research methods, both quantitative and qualitative;
- Strong analytical skills and ability to clearly synthesize and present findings;
- Data visualization skills are a plus;
- Knowledge of organizational security and/or human centered design practices preferred;
- Strong oral and excellent written English;
- In all duties, an understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
How to Apply
The Consultant will be selected based on both the statement of interest and quote. The application should include:
- A CV or resume, including at least two references who can speak to your previous evaluation work.
- A statement of interest responding to the points above and explaining how your qualifications and experience meet this call. The statement should also include a brief description of your proposed methodology for this scope of work and timeframe. The statement should be no longer than two pages.
- A proposed quote for the requested work, including a brief breakdown of associated costs.
To apply, please visit our website: https://phf.tbe.taleo.net/phf04/ats/careers/v2/viewRequisition?org=INTERNEWS&cws=38&rid=1291