As a member, you and your organisation would be able to enjoy the benefits our network has to offer, including:
- Raising the impact and efficiency of journalism support and media development through collaboration and networking.
- Access to media development professionals around the world who are working on a variety of relevant and timely issues.
- Participating in members-only working groups and communications channels as well as networking events and meetups with our members, partners, and industry leaders.
- Sharing your voice, amplifying the needs of your community, and connecting with larger journalism support and media development organisations, donors/funders, human rights organisations, intergovernmental organisations such as UNESCO and the Council of Europe, governments, and other key stakeholders.
- Representation at international fora, including the United Nations, European Union, World Bank, Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD), International Association for Media and Communication Research (IAMCR), Internet Governance Forum (IGF), and many more.
- Exchanging knowledge on emerging issues in media development through GFMD IMPACT – the International Media Policy and Advisory Centre. This initiative brings together key media development and journalism support stakeholders to ensure more effective (demand-driven & coordinated) and impactful (contextually tailored & oriented toward long-term, strategic goals) sector support.
- Receiving insights into the latest trends in funding for media development or journalism support in the GFMD Fundraising Guide – a guide that provides insight into a variety of application models, take you through the project design process, and help you submit better – and ultimately more successful – funding proposals.
- Check your editorial policies and be transparent about the inner workings of your craft by becoming part of the Journalism Trust Initiative – a compliance tool for journalism that makes your investment in ethics visible to the communities that you serve and to your business partners
- Participating in our members-only Capacity Building Programme and member webinar series: building knowledge and professional standards of journalism support and media development community through knowledge sharing, peer-to-peer learning, and research. This also includes facilitating access to knowledge and expertise about journalism support and media development through our network of experts, research and studies relevant to our field and beyond.
- Benefitting from tailor-made services, including non-profit partnership building, management and fundraising training, market research, and consulting services related to organisational strategy.
- Addressing political, economic, social, and structural constraints to journalism sustainability and media freedom through peer-led advocacy. This includes the engagement with and education of philanthropy and development donors, building partnerships, participating in collective action to influence policymakers, and disseminating new business models to inspire and encourage smaller organisations fighting to be sustainable and viable.
Engaging in Internet policy and governance while helping to voice the concerns of the journalism and media development community.
- And much more!
We deliver the above via our website and digital platforms (networking, connecting), webinars, newsletter, and members-only mailing lists (information dissemination), six members-only working groups (Women in Media, SDG 16.10 – Access to Information, Investigative Journalism, Research, Impact, and Learning, Internet Governance, and Local and Community Media), a members-only Capacity Building Programme and members-only open house (networking and information sharing), and much more.
GFMD is also a member of multiple initiatives and coalitions including the Media Freedom Coalition Advisory Network (MFC-AN), the Global Network Initiative (GNI), the multi-stakeholder United for News coalition, the International Civil Society Organization on the Safety of Journalists Coalition (ICSO SoJ Coalition), the Christchurch Call Advisory Network, the Design 4 Democracy Coalition (D4D), the Freedom of Information Advocates Network (FOIAnet), and the Transparency, Accountability, and Participation for the 2030 Agenda (TAP) Network. Additionally, GFMD collaborates with the Journalism Trust Initiative (JTI) and was formally granted special consultative status by the United Nations Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) in July 2018.