Media development is a challenging profession, and GFMD provides an important platform for professionals to discuss issues that affect us all to cooperate better together in the field and to use best practices. GFMD is an ingredient in the recipe for good practices in media development.
–Drew Sullivan editor, Organized Crime and Corruption Reporting Project
What are the benefits of being a member?
Raising the impact and efficiency of journalism support and media development through collaboration and networking.
- Participating in member-only working groups and communications channels, as well as networking events and meetups with our members, partners, and industry leaders.
- Representation at international fora, including the United Nations, European Union, World Bank, Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD), International Association for Media and Communication Research (IAMCR), Internet Governance Forum (IGF), and more. GFMD was also granted Special Consultative Status by the United Nations Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) in July 2018.
- Capacity building: building knowledge and professional standards of journalism support and media development community through knowledge sharing, peer-to-peer learning, and research. This also includes facilitating access to knowledge and expertise about journalism support and media development through our network of experts, research and studies relevant to our field and beyond.
- Tailor-made services, including non-profit partnership building, management and fundraising training, market research, and consulting services related to organisational strategy.
- Addressing political, economic, social, and structural constraints to journalism sustainability and media freedom through peer-led advocacy. This includes the engagement with and education of philanthropy and development donors, building partnerships, participating in collective action to influence policymakers, and disseminating new business models to inspire and encourage smaller organisations fighting to be sustainable and viable.
- Engaging in Internet policy and governance while helping to voice the concerns of the journalism and media development community.
- And much more!
Who can become a GFMD member?
GFMD members are organisations and individuals that work in support of:
- Journalism, journalists and content production;
- Media development;
- Freedom of expression;
- Media capacity and financial viability;
- Free, efficient, and public access to information and news distribution;
- A system of media regulation;
- Transparent and equal market conditions;
- Media as a platform for democratic discourse as representatives of the diversity of views and interests in society.
Categories of GFMD membership
The GFMD has both General and Associate Members:
- Independent, non-profit, non-governmental organisations, institutions and enterprises whose work focuses primarily on journalism support and media development with international, regional or national reach;
- The GFMD accepts, on a case-by-case basis, organisations such as NGOs based on their independence, their non-profit status and their mandates rather than on official registration.
- The GFMD, on a case-by-case basis accepts organisations, institutions and enterprises whose work focuses significantly on journalism, media development and communication and information sectors with international, regional or national reach;
- Membership in GFMD is open to individuals (academics, researchers, media consultants, experts) whose work focuses primarily on media development.
- Associate membership is open to institutions and enterprises, whose main function is to make financial grants to media development organisations or who provide considerable assistance to media development.
How much is the membership fee?
GFMD membership fees are based on the type of the organisation and on an organisation’s annual turnover, and it ranges from USD500 to USD15,000 at the level of around 0.1% of annual turnover.
|Annual turnover in excess of USD 15,000,000||15,000|
|Annual turnover in excess of USD 10,000,000||10,000|
|Annual turnover in excess of USD 5,000,000||5,000|
|Annual turnover in excess of USD 3,000,000||3,000|
|Annual turnover in excess of USD 1,000,000||1,000|
|Annual turnover in excess of USD 500,000||500|