« Back to all Members
Region: Western Europe
The World Association of Newspapers and News Publishers, or WAN-IFRA, is the global organisation of the world’s press. It derives its authority from its global network of 3,000 news publishing companies and technology entrepreneurs, and its legitimacy from its 80 member publisher associations representing 18,000 publications in 120 countries. WAN-IFRA is based in Paris and is an “association loi 1901,” a non-profit organisation under French law. It is financed through membership fees and donors sponsorships towards specific media development projects. The association gained formal consultative status to UNESCO in 1949, to the UN in the spring of 1950, and to the Council of Europe in 1974.
The World Association of Newspapers and News Publishers was founded in Paris in 1948 by survivors of the World War II clandestine press of France and The Netherlands. It was created by newspaper publishers from eight countries: Belgium, Denmark, France, Great Britain, Holland, Luxemburg, Sweden and Switzerland.
The original membership of WAN-IFRA is represented by the national associations of newspaper publishers. Today, 72 associations from 66 countries are our members. Starting from the year 1984 WAN-IFRA has been extending its membership to news publishers and supplier companies as well as, in special cases, to individuals.
» Engagement Opportunities
- Digital Media Europe 2022
- Young Media Leaders Fellowship
- African Digital Media Awards 2022
- The 6th edition of WAN-IFRA’s flagship Africa event!
- Digital Media Awards Worldwide
- Digital Media Asia 2022
- World News Media Congress 2022
- The unmissable event for the Latin American media industry leaders!
- Global eSummit: Journalism and the Climate Crisis
- Study: Sexual Harassment In The Media – Africa Report (English)