INTERNEWS – SHORT-TERM CONSULTANT: SOCIAL MEDIA MONITOR
Internews is seeking to recruit a Social Media Monitor (SMM) to support two-way communication with the population at risk for COVID-19 on Puerto Rico. The SMM will help identify and understand hyper-local information needs that are not solely concerned with health behaviors, and can identify, discuss, analyze, and mitigate rumors and misinformation related to COVID-19 arising at local levels.
The SMM will monitor social media platforms used widely on Puerto Rico and potentially in the diaspora to identify and track rumors, misinformation, and disinformation campaigns related to COVID-19 that may cause risks to public health or other issues. The SMM will engage with online groups and pages, messaging apps, frontline aid agencies, local media and/or any other online channels that are influential in the narrative about the virus. The SMM will collect feedback and commentary on the concerns, fears and hopes that are behind the rumors that drive misinformation from social media. They will contribute data and inputs to the Internews team and its partners to address misinformation with “news you can use” and provide inputs for feedback reports for humanitarian partners to inform decision-making and improve information provision with timely, locally relevant, and reliable information people trust.
This is a remote-first consultancy, and the ideal candidate will be based on Puerto Rico. Candidates based elsewhere in the United States are also welcome to apply. We anticipate that work will take approximately four weeks to complete. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, so it is to your benefit to apply as soon as possible if the position is of interest.
SCOPE OF WORK
- Systematically monitor social media platforms popular in Puerto Rico and potentially in the diaspora, focusing on collecting content engaged with and posted by different kinds of social media users;
- Provide input into the editorial process by providing regular updates to the content production team on recurrent or emerging topics and trends;
- Log data and support categorization of data for weekly reviews;
- Work with the project team to understand differences in tone, context, source and intended audience for social media content;
- Track the effect of the program activities on the social media ecosystem about COVID-19 and the COVID-19 vaccine distribution campaign; and
- Perform any other duties as mutually agreed with Internews representatives.
- Strong knowledge of the Puerto Rican social media ecosystem
- Expertise navigating Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, and other social media platforms; understanding of the engagement statistics for each;
- Strong experience using social media monitoring tools, data collection and analysis software;
- Native or fluent Spanish language skills
- Good speaking, reading, and writing skills in English
- Good understanding of COVID-19 and/or other health emergencies
Please, apply here.