INTERNEWS SEEKING A TECHNICAL DATA AND INFORMATION SPECIALIST
Internews empowers people worldwide with the trustworthy, high-quality news and information they need to make informed decisions, participate in their communities, and hold power to account. Their vision is to unleash human potential everywhere by turning on the bright light of information.
For more than 35 years, in more than 100 countries, Internews has worked to build healthy media and information environments where they are most needed. They have proudly incubated hundreds of sustainable organizations, bolstered the skills of thousands of media professionals, activists, and citizens, and helped these partners reach millions of people with quality, local information.
Read more about Internews’ work here.
Internews is seeking a Technical Data and Information Specialist for a potential USAID-funded project in Georgia that will coordinate efforts in countering disinformation; strengthen the capacity of local actors to put out fact-based messages, and diagnose, track, and respond to disinformation. The Technical Data and Information Specialist provides technical expertise on journalist safety, press freedom and digital and physical security. The position is responsible for capacity building of Georgia media partners in all areas of media from information ecosystems development to journalism training and content production.
The Technical Data and Information Specialist will report to the Chief of Party and support the execution of relevant project activities, monitoring and evaluation and reporting in order to meet project objectives.
Note: Hiring will be dependent upon receipt of funding.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Provide support to the Chief of Party to inform the technical selection criteria and provision of technical support on journalist safety, press freedom and digital and physical security.
- Provide technical expertise on design of relevant trainings, mentoring programs, and/or consultations.
- Support regular progress reporting and the collection and analysis of monitoring and evaluation data on the results and impact of program support.
- Nurture relationships with media outlets, research institutions, media literacy initiatives, and media support organizations in the region.
- Develop and maintain understanding of issues affecting both the media community and the media development community in Georgia, including security and political factors.
- Technical support, guidance and mentoring to media partners on topics related to journalist safety, press freedom and digital and physical security.
- Ensure all projects’ deliverables are completed according to agreed timeline and budgets.
- Develop the terms of reference for international and national consultants carrying out specific components of the projects.
- Managing risk and security during the implementation of the project, including the development of contingency plans.
- Support the Chief of Party in ensuring the projects comply with all administrative requirements, donors’ regulations (including branding and marking), laws including local laws and requirements for local staff.
- Ensure timely reporting of activities to the Chief of Party and effective collaboration with relevant Internews staff.
- Support strategic communications efforts of Internews in coordination with the Chief of Party to promote and publicize Internews activities.
- Understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Demonstrate subject matter expertise in misinformation, disinformation and propaganda, computational, mixed-methods approaches, etc;
- Information access and data literacy and information flow in sociotechnical systems.
- Deep understanding of how online space is being used to spread disinformation for information operations.
- Well-versed in the dynamics of social media platforms, understand challenges and developments in the regulation of these platforms, and closely follow the emergence of the next generation of challenges in this space.
- Advanced degree in subject matter area or closely related discipline.
Full details about the position are available here.