INTERNEWS HIRING INTERNATIONAL DATA PROTECTION CONSULTANT
Internews is actively searching for an international data protection expert to join their two-year, part-time project focused on data protection in Latin America and Sub-Saharan Africa.
This project aims to protect the expansion of a global and free internet in Africa and Latin America by promoting rights-respecting data protection legislation. Building on Internews’ track record of internet freedom projects, this project builds the capacity of CSOs to advocate for and defend internet rights for citizens.
Scope of Work
The chosen consultant will be expected to provide ongoing, part-time support (5-10 hours/week) throughout the length of this two-year project.
Tasks may include:
- Conduct regular check-ins with local partners located across sub-Saharan Africa and Latin America to provide policy advice on data protection issues.
- Debrief program staff on partner issues, progress, concerns or overarching commonalities across regions
- Provide editorial review or original research/writing, as appropriate, regarding proposed legislation, policy briefs, communications, or other policy documents.
- Provide thought leadership on key data protection issues, including summarizing key issues and providing guidance on key engagement opportunities.
Candidates for the international data protection consultant are expected to have:
- Demonstrated 5+ years of substantial experience and expertise in international internet freedom issues, with a focus on data protection.
- JD or Master’s Degree in related field preferred but not required
- Exceptional written and oral presentation skills
- Spanish or French language skills preferred but not required
- Experience working with civil society organizations Latin America and/or Africa
- Ability and willingness to travel to regional locations, which may be remote or difficult to reach
- Ability to work well with others, meet deadlines, and respond to changes in priorities
- A self-starter mindset that works well independently and as a collaborative team player
For full information about the project and to apply, visit the Internews website here.