INTERNEWS FACT-CHECKING EDITOR FOR ETHIOPIA PROJECT
Internews is looking for an experienced Editor to research, plan, develop and implements its Fact Checking Desk. The Editor will be responsible for the management and content of the desk, guiding the planning and research and editing the content of different platforms.
The Editor will manage and supervise the analysts and media mentors to:
- Create, produce, and manage high-quality content
- Build relationships with journalists, editors, media heads as well as similar organizations and establish collaboration
- Supervise the layout and curation of newsletters and Social media sites for better presence
- Regularly check and track content
- Proofread and edit materials
- Track and analyze the reach of the content produced
- Produce and present reports
- Liaise with other staff members to propose better ways of coordinating the media monitoring outputs as well as reporting mechanisms
- Based on media monitoring results, organize verification and fact checking trainings in Ethiopia.
- Develop a fact-checking manual to be disseminated to newsrooms.
- Understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
The Editor is required to have:
- Keen interest in and deep knowledge of Ethiopia and the political processes of the country
- Fluency in Amharic. Knowledge of additional local languages is an asset.
- Knowledge and good network of the media in Ethiopia
- At least 6 years’ previous work experience as an editor
- Excellent proofreading, editing and copy writing skills
- Knowledge of content management systems
- Attention to detail
- Good organizational and time management skills
- MA in journalism, communications, or similar relevant field
Level of Effort (LOE)
- This is a 100% engagement with 40 hours’ commitment per week.
Timeframe of the assignment
- The Editor will be expected to start mid-July 2020, with an anticipated end date of mid-July 2021.
To apply, please visit the Internews website: https://chm.tbe.taleo.net/chm04/ats/careers/v2/viewRequisition?org=INTERNEWS&cws=38&rid=1153
More job vacancies can be found in our Job Opportunities page.