INTERNEWS ETHIOPIA FACT-CHECKING CONSULTANT
Internews is currently seeking a fact-checking consultant with strong digital investigation skills to join their Ethiopia fact-checking team. The consultancy requires a digital background to easily navigate online and digital disinformation, whether that be on major social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter; networking platforms such as WhatsApp and Telegram as well as mainstream media.
Internews is a very diverse organization globally. We value the perspectives that result from the inclusivity of different voices, and the foundation of our work is to support free and open communications between all people. We are an organization of dynamic, mission-driven individuals who are passionate about our core values and about supporting positive change in the world. We pride ourselves on our commitment to innovation and flexibility. We are an EEO employer and strongly encourage people from all backgrounds to apply for any of our open positions.
The successful candidate should have a keen interest in and deep knowledge of Ethiopia and the political process of the country and will provide the following Scope of Work;
- Follow and monitor online Ethiopian influencers, activists, media, and other relevant organizations to identify claims, misinformation and hate speech.
- Create a system to verify the online claims and share the outcomes with the database of Ethiopian journalists and editors. This will be shared through social media posts. WhatsApp/telegram shares and weekly newsletters.
- Liaise with Ethiopian Broadcasting Authority (EBA) embedded monitors to receive weekly mainstream media reports and claims to integrate them into the weekly outputs (social media and newsletter).
- Support, curate and manage social media sites (Facebook, Twitter, WhatsApp, telegram).
- Design and ready the weekly newsletter.
- Create a database of Ethiopian media, journalists and editors who would receive weekly reports.
- Bachelor’s degree and proven experience in journalism, communications, and fact-checking with strong communication, content-writing, interviewing and editing skills.
- Computer literacy and proficiency in MS Office and related business and communication tools.
- Mastery of the internet and skilled in searching for and finding accurate, up-to-date information.
- Proven social media and networking experience, with experience in mainstream and digital media monitoring analysis.
- Fluency in Amharic is a must. Knowledge of additional local languages will be an asset.
- Understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
Level of Effort (LOE)
This is a 50% engagement with 20 hours commitment per week.
Timeframe of the assignment
The Fact Checking consultant will have consultancy contracts from July 2020
To apply, please visit the Internews website: https://chm.tbe.taleo.net/chm04/ats/careers/v2/viewRequisition?org=INTERNEWS&cws=38&rid=1151
More job vacancies can be found in our Job Opportunities page.