GRANTS TO DIVERSIFY, STRENGTHEN & SUPPORT INNOVATION AMONG INDEPENDENT MEDIA INITIATIVES – SOUTHERN AFRICA
- being an independent media companies or non-profit organisation or a new venture less than a year old.
- Funding amount: USD 5,000 to 15,000
- Type of funding: Programmatic
- Target countries: Botswana, Lesotho, Namibia, Zambia, and Zimbabwe
- Application language: English
The South Africa Media Innovation Program (SAMIP) was established in 2017 by Media Development Investment Fund as a multi-year initiative to accelerate digital innovation and sustainability among select independent media outlets in South Africa.
The program now seeks to include a small number of new entrants from Botswana, Lesotho, Namibia, Zambia and Zimbabwe with the aim to diversify, strengthen and support innovation among independent media initiatives in Southern African countries, through a mix of project funding, technical support, and capacity building over a three-year period.
Funding focus areas
- Developing new approaches to reporting and storytelling that embrace the possibilities of technology.
- Serving underserved audiences, especially along the lines of race, gender, age, income or location.
- Supporting new models for distributing news that save costs, add value, or reach new audiences.
- Creating new sources of revenue that can support media sustainability and independence.
See here to learn more and apply.