GLOBAL VOICES SEEKING ENGLISH-LANGUAGE SUBEDITORS
Global Voices (GV) is seeking to hire subeditors who will be responsible for editing stories written in or translated into English by our contributors.
GV stories focus on topics such as internet culture, freedom of speech online, technology and digital rights, human rights, civics and political movements, diversity and representation, and language diversity.
Most of Global Voices’ contributors are volunteers and English may not be their first language. Contributors include journalists, advocates, students, teachers, researchers, doctors, scientists, translators and many other professions, as well as GV’s media partners.
Subeditors’ duties include:
- Editing stories written by contributors for publication for a global audience. Stories will usually have been given an initial review by a regional editor with knowledge of the topic and context.
- Participating in weekly virtual editorial meetings
- Working in accordance with Global Voices community and editorial guidelines, mission, and culture
Successful candidates for the positions will:
- Be native English speakers or have high professional fluency in English
- Have proven editing skills and experience editing news in English
- Be able to edit sensitively for a global audience
- Be effective communicators
- Be comfortable working with others in a loosely structured, wholly virtual work environment
- Be able to work to deadline
- Have high computer literacy
- Have reliable access to a broadband internet connection
- Be available for GV work 15-20 hours a week
- Be able to demonstrate a strong commitment to Global Voices’ mission and values.
Full information about the position can be found here.