GFMD TO ATTEND 2019 REGIONAL CENTRAL ASIA MEDIA CONFERENCE
The 21st Regional Central Asia Media Conference, titled “Media Freedom and Pluralism in times of Digital Transformation” will be held this year in Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan from July 17th to 18th. Throughout the course of the event, 100 participants representing media, government, and civil society organisations from around Central Asia, as well as international experts, will gather to discuss the development of online media landscapes, internet regulation and the protection of freedom of expression, developments in media freedom in the region, and many other issues.
GFMD will be represented by Advocacy and Engagement Manager, Michael Oghia at a session titled “Impact of Digital Development on Media Pluralism”. The session will focus on the opportunities and challenges facing media due to the use of digital distribution platforms, protection of public interests, and access to an open, stable and affordable internet for public and media.
The session will take place from 10:00 to 11:15 on Wednesday, July 17th.
- Ambassador Bakyt Dzhusupov, Permanent Representative of Kyrgyzstan to the OSCE and other international organizations in Vienna;
- Elena Cherniavska, Senior Adviser, Office of the OSCE Representative on Freedom of the Media.
- Timothy Karr, Senior Director of Strategy and Communications, Free Press.
- Michael Oghia, Advocacy and Engagement Manager, GFMD;
- Bota Ayazbayeva, Programs Director, Soros Foundation Kazakhstan;
- Representative of Culture/Information Ministry/Committee of Kyrgyzstan
- Representative of Culture/Information Ministry/Committee of Tajikistan
- Representative of Culture/Information Ministry/Committee of Uzbekistan
Full details of the conference can be found here.