WAN-IFRA African Media Grants Program
The World Association of News Publishers (WAN)-IFRA Media Freedom invites African media organizations to apply for a grant to assist newsrooms in telling the story of climate change. The impact of climate change touches virtually every element of their society. But misinformation and climate denial undermine how media reach audiences, and devalue the good work many are already producing. The ongoing Covid-19 pandemic and the worsening economic situation place immense strains on budgets and newsroom resources. But they cannot ignore an issue that will define the legacy they leave future generations.
From any angle – economic, environmental, health, political, science, social – the story of climate change needs reliable information and a fact-based approach, one that engages audiences, makes them aware of the stakes, and allows them to engage in positive action. Audiences need hope; they need a professional media to help provide it. WAN-IFRA’s Climate Change and Environmental Reporting grants are designed to aid newsrooms across Africa in tackling storytelling that:
– Demonstrates clear relevance to local communities
– Addresses the big issues, highlights the underreported stories, or exposes new angles
– Showcases innovative solutions that have impact
– Promotes efforts towards positive change and shows people how they can take action
– Explores innovative storytelling formats to reach and engage audiences
See here to learn more and apply.
Funding Size: $10,000 USD