- Have ownership of the medium and operate independently.
- Produce original content, mainly on digital platforms.
- Have been active for at least six months.
- Show signs of success on the path to sustainability (for example, an increase in site visits, experimentation with different business models, or an increase in your recent revenue).
- Aspire to economic independence, regardless of their ideological position. Editorial policy and economic viability should not depend entirely on a single corporation, the state, or a political party.
- Have the majority of original content in Spanish.
- Have an editorial line focused on at least one of these aspects:
- Public interest journalism
- Underreported communities
- Improve the information situation in areas that have little journalistic coverage
- Work with a specific topic or community
- Be ready and interested in:
- Explore new ways of distributing information in the digital world
- Explore new ways to monetize your content or activity
- Be a project for profit or non-profit, native to social networks and / or blogs with a journalistic vocation.
- Funding amount: $ 10,000 to $ 30,000
- Type of funding: Programmatic
- Target countries: Latin America
- Application language: Spanish
SembraMedia and the Google News Initiative have launched the Google News Initiative Startups Lab Latin America: a digital media accelerator that will support the development of journalism startups and promote the growth of its members.
Ten digital startups will be selected for the six-month program, which begins in September. These startups will receive financial support, resources and mentorship to strengthen their business models and expand knowledge about their audiences.
Projects that give visibility to women, LGTBQ+ groups, Indigenous peoples, among other communities, are especially encouraged to apply.
See here to learn more and apply.
Funding Size: N/A