- Eligibility Criteria:
The following organizations are eligible to apply:
– Not-for-profit organizations;
– For-profit organizations;
– Civil society/non-governmental organizations;
– Think tanks; and
– Private and public educational institutions.
- Type of funding: Programmatic
- Target country: Kazakhstan
- Application language: English
The U.S. Department of State’s Embassy Astana announces an open competition opportunity to implement a project that strengthens Kazakhstan’s media environment through the provision of legal support and assistance to journalists as well as legal-related training for media professionals, such as journalists and media content creators, and law students or practitioners, and law enforcement personnel.
The project aims to promote professional journalism standards and ensure proper legal protections where needed while supporting Kazakhstan’s efforts towards democracy and rule of law.
Support a free media environment in Kazakhstan by increasing awareness of legal rights and access to protections for media professionals.
- Objective 1: Increase knowledge and understanding of legal rights and laws pertaining to media professionals among a minimum of 100 participants through at least six trainings, with at least half of the trainings being conducted in the Kazakh language. This can include legal book or pamphlet translations and printing as well as workshops.
- Objective 2: Increase access to legal protections for media professionals by providing legal services and creating a database of lawyers available for pro bono support in the regions. (Note: If lawyers are not available for pro-bono support, the applicant should negotiate how attorney services will be compensated.) The implementers are not bound by the number of consultations or pro-bono cases; however, the successful applicant should track the number and kinds of services provided and the demographics of individuals accessing their services.
- Objective 3: Increase public awareness of press freedom violations and issues through regular monitoring and reporting on at least a quarterly basis.
See here to learn more and apply.
Access the Fundraising Guide for expert advice on how to improve your fundraising applications and to identify prospective donors.