- Training and Education
Funding Size: N/A
- Eligibility criteria:
– Innovators, media makers and entrepreneurs with a great idea and the commitment to create and sustain a new journalism or media venture. Innovators, media makers and entrepreneurs who lead an existing journalism or media venture that they want to grow and develop.
– Starting or growing a new venture is challenging work so they encourage people to apply as a team of at least two people who are able to commit all or a substantial majority of their time to their project. Larger teams are also welcomed.
– This programme will be based on a significant amount of “virtual face-to-face” interaction so applicants must have a stable internet connection.
– They are especially keen to see women and women led teams apply.
- Type of funding: Training
- Target countries: Sub-Saharan Africa
- Application language: English
The Jamlab Accelerator Programme (JAP) is a six-month hothouse programme for early-stage journalism and media start-ups. It provides teams with the tools, facilities, contacts, and support necessary to realise their ideas and ambitions. The programme focuses on journalism and media innovations with the potential to transform information, conversation and public space.
They are looking for committed and creative journalists and media makers who are passionate about fixing what isn’t working in sub-Saharan African media, who want to create new media to serve new audiences, or bring new conversations or ideas to the public. The Jamlab Accelerator Programme sub-Saharan Africa is run by the Wits Centre for Journalism, supported by the “Consortium for Human Rights and Media in Africa (Charm)”, funded through the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (Sida).
They welcome applications from all countries across sub-Saharan Africa, particularly those in Benin; Burkina Faso; Cote d’Ivoire; Guinea; Guinea-Bissau; Kenya; Lesotho; Liberia; Madagascar; Malawi; Mali; Mozambique; Niger; Nigeria; Senegal; Sierra Leone Togo and Zambia.
See here to learn more and apply.