- Eligibility Criteria:
– Investigative journalists, both professional and non-professional (bloggers, social activists), media organisations, editorial offices, and NGOs
- Type of funding: Programmatic
- Target countries: Worldwide
- Application language: English
With the aspiration to restore justice and promote freedom of expression, the Justice for Journalists Foundation issues grants to investigative journalists to find the perpetrators and facilitators of crimes against media professionals through the Investigative Grant Programme 2023. The broad topic of the grants is “investigation of violence and abuse against journalists, freelancers, and bloggers.”
In 2023, the Foundation will accept grant applications in the following subject areas:
- Investigations into the violent crimes against journalists operating in conflict zones, hostile environments, and/or during protests (i.e. Ukraine, Iran, Afghanistan, China);
- Proposals that help to raise awareness of and support campaigns against Strategic Litigation Against Public Participation (SLAPP) both in the context of the UK and globally;
- Case studies and concepts notes on the safety of journalists living and working in exile with the focus on the following issues:
- Methods of attacks against exiled independent media (Turkmenistan, Tajikistan, Iran, Turkey, Belarus, Russia, etc.)
- How to safely maintain access to and expand audiences inside countries with suppressed independent media (Iran, Afghanistan, Belarus, Russia, Myanmar, etc.);
- How to safely maintain contact with sources and protect them both in the country and in exile;
- How to ensure cyber-security and stay clear of surveillance;
- How to form safe partnerships and build alliances;
- How to enlist international support and protection for the independent media in exile.
The Justice for Journalists Foundation is non-partisan and does not support any political agenda. The Foundation will give preference to the established media and NGOs with stringent reporting procedures and proven track record of successful projects.
See here to learn more and apply.
Access the Fundraising Guide for expert advice on how to improve your fundraising applications and to identify prospective donors.