- Eligibility criteria:
– Small and medium-sized news organizations producing original news for underrepresented audiences.
– The News Equity Fund is open to independent newsrooms employing between 1 – 50 full-time journalists (FTE).
– Eligible applicants may include for-profit or nonprofit traditional news organizations, digital natives, newsletters, podcasts, radio and/or TV broadcasters, and trade press associations whose members cover underrepresented -groups.
– Eligible applicants should publish journalistic content regularly.
– Eligible applicants need to have a focus on core news provision, i.e. not lifestyle, sports.
– Eligible applicants must have a verifiable digital presence (such as a website primarily providing journalistic content) and have been in full operation for at least 12 months.
- Type of funding: Core
- Target countries: See here for eligible regions and countries.
- Application language: English
Google has launched a ‘News Equity Fund’, a global commitment to provide financial support and opportunities to news organizations that primarily serve underrepresented communities.
Their aim is to strengthen inclusion, further empower a diverse news ecosystem, and specifically support small and medium sized publishers creating original journalism for underrepresented audiences around the world.
Funds will be disbursed in one installment. Funding amounts will vary depending on the size of the newsroom and number of eligible applications received.
See here to learn more and apply.
Access the Fundraising Guide for expert advice on how to improve your fundraising applications and to identify prospective donors.
Funding Size: N/A