- Only established non-commercial or independent media outlets active in the Republic of Moldova are eligible for participation in this program.
- Individuals, government, or quasi-government bodies are not eligible for funding.
- Funding amount: $12,000 (for each category)
- Type of funding: Programmatic
- Target countries: Moldova
- Application languages: English
Freedom House invites applications for funding and support from independent media outlets based in the Republic of Moldova that seek to raise awareness among the public about democratic reform, government accountability, and threats to fundamental freedoms in Moldova.
Two (2) grants for media outlets with distinct objectives are available. Applicants are encouraged to apply for one or both of the opportunities based on their interest; however, a separate and full application must be submitted for each grant opportunity.
- Grant 1: Solution-Oriented Journalism on Reform: This grant seeks to support in-depth media coverage and analysis of democratic reform developments at local, regional and national levels, with the aim to better inform Moldovan citizens about issues important to them and the range of potential policy solutions available. Grantees would provide media coverage of these issues with a constructive, solution-oriented approach, combining investigative journalism and policy-oriented advocacy to make complex, fast-moving policy developments easily accessible to the public.
- Grant 2: Investigative Journalism for Government Accountability: This grant seeks to support monitoring and reporting of government violations of human rights, fundamental freedoms, and the rule of law, with the goal of raising public awareness of government abuses at the local and national level and building support for government accountability. Grantees would uncover and highlight official abuses at the local and national level through hard-hitting investigative reporting, focusing their coverage on the human impact of these violations.
Learn more and apply here.
Funding Size: N/A