- Eligibility Criteria:
– Non-governmental, non-profit organizations (including think tanks, civil society organizations), educational institutions and independent media organizations that are based and legally registered in Bosnia and Herzegovina are eligible to apply.
- Type of funding: Programmatic
- Target country: Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Application language: English
The United States Embassy in Bosnia and Herzegovina, through the Public Diplomacy Section, is pleased to announce a Notice of Funding Opportunity (NOFO) for the Democracy Commission Small Grants Program.
The objective of the Democracy Commission Small Grants Program is to develop a viable civil society in Bosnia and Herzegovina and to support NGO efforts to enhance citizen engagement in developing grassroots democracy and advocating for accountable governance, freedom of information, and an inclusive society.
Proposals that go beyond awareness building to promote action or create behavior change or institutional change will be particularly competitive.
Projects should address one of the following themes:
- Anti-corruption, in particular, projects that engage citizens in anticorruption advocacy initiatives, encourage corruption-exposing investigative journalism, expand corruption reporting mechanisms, or seek to improve legislation related to corruption.
- Democratic political processes, in particular, projects that advocate for more transparent and accountable institutions and more involvement by citizens in civic life, with special attention paid to projects that focus on the 14 key priorities for EU membership.
- Countering misinformation and promoting moderate voices, in particular, projects that encourage fact-based citizen and media dialogue on priority social and political issues; improve media literacy and the ability of BiH citizens to detect misinformation in traditional media and on social media; and counter hate speech and extremist rhetoric in public discourse.
- Supporting vulnerable and marginalized populations in BiH, in particular, projects that promote the rights and inclusion in society of migrants/refugees/displaced persons, the Roma community, people with disabilities, the LGBTQI+ community, and other minority groups.
This program aims to strengthen civil society in BiH and to improve transparency and accountability in government, expand citizen
participation in fighting corruption, increase respect for human rights, support independent media, and promote Euro-Atlantic integration.
See here to learn more and apply.
Access the Fundraising Guide for expert advice on how to improve your fundraising applications and to identify prospective donors.