- Eligibility Criteria:
– Only non-commercial organizations, associations, initiatives, and foundations active in Turkey are eligible for participation in this program.
- Type of funding: Programmatic
- Target countries: Turkey
- Application language: English or Turkish
Freedom House invites applications for funding and support from local, registered non-governmental organizations based in Turkey that seek to expand civic space empowerment and engagement on a local level through building partnerships with local municipality offices in Turkey.
This project aims to create a common ground for different civil society actors to address human rights issues in the country. Freedom House and its partners intend to respond to threats to fundamental freedoms by providing litigation support, research and analysis, support for grassroots initiatives, and advocacy.
The “Civic Space Empowerment” grants program will serve the following objectives:
- To provide financial support to cross-cutting grassroots initiatives that engage journalists, lawyers, human rights defenders, and other activists that seek to strengthen cooperation between local civil society organizations, communities, and municipalities to advance fundamental freedoms in Turkey;
- To provide essential technical support, assistance, and tools to local grassroots initiatives in order to leverage their impact to develop projects in response to openings and opportunities in the aftermath of the previous municipal elections in Turkey;
- To help improve initiatives focusing on promoting fundamental freedoms in Turkey through local community engagement.
Applications will be considered in the following thematic areas:
- Raise awareness about human rights issues with local stakeholders in Turkey;
- Engage officials in local civil society organizations and events;
- Encourage dialogue between civil society groups and the government; and
- Building allies for civil society on a local level.
See here to learn more and apply.
Access the Fundraising Guide for expert advice on how to improve your fundraising applications and to identify prospective donors.