– All journalists are eligible. Most grants are awarded to freelance journalists. Some journalists on staff at nonprofit and traditional media outlets also receive grants and their investigations can be for print, online or broadcast stories, books, documentaries, or podcasts.
– International story proposals must come from U.S.-based reporters or have a strong U.S. angle, involving American citizens, government, or business. All stories must be published in English in a media outlet in the United States.
– Grants cannot be used to rent office space, purchase office supplies or buy equipment. However, grants can be used to cover the cost of equipment rental in some cases.
- Type of funding: Programmatic
- Target countries: EU Member States
- Application language: English
The European Commission (EC) is offering grants to support projects which set up or expand media hubs (such as newsrooms) to provide Europeans with quality content on European affairs and in many languages.
- The core objective of the call is to contribute to increased production and consumption of plural and independent information on European affairs across the European Union, and in the longer term a larger engagement of people in the EU with European news and affairs, increased levels of trust in media and an informed public debate.
Funding Information and Duration
- The available call budget is EUR 8 million. The EU co-financing is limited to a maximum of 80% of the total eligible costs.
- They expect to fund 2 to 3 projects. Project budgets (maximum grant amount) are expected to range between EUR 1.5 million to EUR 4 million per project but this does not preclude the submission/selection of proposals requesting lower amounts.
- Projects should have an approximate duration of 24 months.
Themes and Priorities
- Setting up or developing a media hub
- Producing pluralistic and independent information
- Reaching people across Europe
- Improving the consumption of information on European affairs
See here to learn more and apply.
Access the Fundraising Guide for expert advice on how to improve your fundraising applications and to identify prospective donors.