The Joyce Foundation was established in 1948 by Beatrice Joyce Kean of Chicago, the sole heir of the Joyce family of Clinton, Iowa, which built its wealth in the lumber and related industries.
« Back to all Fundings
Funding Size: N/A
- Joyce focuses its grant making in Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio, and Wisconsin, and partners with funders to explore promising policy solutions in other states or at the federal level.
- Funding amount: More than $1 million
- Type of funding: Programmatic
- Target countries: United States
- Application languages: English
- Culture: The Foundation is excited to have a new Culture program director, Mia Khimm. She is developing a new strategy for the program, which they expect to unveil in the summer of 2021.
- Democracy: Democracy Program promotes an informed, engaged, representative and more equitable democracy acting in the public interest, in which all citizens have a stake. They focus on strategies in three areas: Voting rights and fair elections, fair representation and redistricting reform, and census data accuracy.
- Education & Economic Mobility: Education & Economic Mobility Program works to ensure equitable access to high-quality education and jobs for the region’s next generation, especially young people of color and those from marginalized communities.
- Environment: Environment Program supports science-based policy to address three critical long-term challenges facing the next generation in the Great Lakes region. t
- Gun Violence Prevention & Justice Reform: Gun Violence Prevention & Justice Reform Program promotes safe and just communities through support for research, education, advocacy, and engagement.
- Journalism: Journalism Program seeks to deepen the impact of Foundation investments in policy, by supporting journalism that shines a light on conditions the hope to change, policies they endorse, and success stories that present solutions to problems. They aim to help strengthen investigative, public-affairs journalism and to support local, state or national media – primarily nonprofit – covering issues related to Joyce program areas in the Great Lakes region.
Learn more and apply here.
For the latest funding opportunities, profiles of media donors, and expert insight from GFMD’s MediaDev Fundraising Guide sign up for Bottom Line newsletter