Funding Size: N/A
- Media companies or not-for-profit organizations committed to providing credible, independent news, information or public interest debate for audiences based primarily in Southeast Asia.
- Independent from the government or of any other political or economic interest group.
- Supportive of democratic practices and institutions, political pluralism, transparency, human rights, dignity and equal rights for all, regardless of race, ethnicity, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, religion and other subjects of discrimination.
- Operating in countries where access to reliable information is limited.
- Legally registered, except in extraordinary circumstances.
- Committed to developing a path to financial sustainability.
- Having sufficient capacity to produce regular financial reports.
- Willing to commit sufficient time to work with coaches/mentors and carry out assigned task
- Funding amount: N/A
- Type of funding: Programmatic
- Target countries: South East Asia
- Application languages: English
The Southeast Asia Technical Assistance Initiative strengthens independent media across the region through an innovative coaching program to build business capacity. The program is currently accepting applications.
MDIF launched the Southeast Asia Technical Assistance Initiative (SEATAI) in early 2019 to respond to the need for important public interest media to build business capacity. Then, and now, Southeast Asian media are facing an increasingly challenging political and economic environment.
Threats to journalists, media outlets and press freedom are widespread in the region. At the same time, growing media concentration and a fast-changing business environment, now coupled with the impact of COVID-19, create further challenges for independent media. The imperative to harness the potential for financial sustainability is more critical than ever.
Learn more and apply here.