- Eligibility Criteria:
– Demonstrate a commitment to producing high-quality, independent journalism that serves
the public interest.
– Express clear intention and means of including underrepresented communities in stories. These communities may include marginalised groups such as minorities, youth, women, and other underreported communities.
– Be a legally registered entity within the country of application on or before January 1, 2022.
- Type of funding: Programmatic
- Target country: Balkan and Visegrad countries
- Application language: English or French
BIRN is calling on Balkan and Visegrad newsrooms to apply for Audience-Engaged Journalism Grants to receive funding, training, mentoring, and access to an innovative digital tool to engage with audiences.
Two following types of grants are available under the Audience-Engaged Journalism Grants:
- Individual Grants for media outlets wishing to cover national, regional, or local topics using their own newsroom resources
- Crossborder Grants for media outlets interested in investigating cross-border topics in partnership with the other media outlet. The partnership can be:
- Pre-established, in situations where a media outlet already has a media partner for a cross-border story, they may apply together for a grant of €10,000 to cover expenses for both parties.
- Teamed up with BIRN’s support, in a situation where a media outlet proposes a crossborder story and does not have a pre-established partnership, BIRN can assist in finding a possible match partner for collaboration.
The most successful investigative engagement stories will be considered for publication on the Balkan Insight. The BIRN team and mentors will oversee the selection process to ensure the stories align with the project’s objectives and BI’s publishing standards.
See here to learn more and apply.
Access the Fundraising Guide for expert advice on how to improve your fundraising applications and to identify prospective donors.