- Eligibility Criteria:
– DRL welcomes applications from U.S.-based and foreign-based non-profit organisations/non-governmental organisations (NGO) and public international organisations; private, public, or state institutions of higher education; and for-profit organisations or businesses.
- Type of funding: Programmatic
- Target countries: Middle East and North Africa
- Application language: English
The U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Democracy, Human Rights, and Labor (DRL) announces an open competition for organizations interested in submitting applications for programmes advancing equitable and impartial reporting in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) region.
DRL’s Advancing Inclusive and Equitable Reporting programme seeks regional programmes with the objectives to counter discrimination and promote greater diversity in media coverage of marginalized racial and ethnic communities and underrepresented and vulnerable groups in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) region.
Programme approaches may include:
- Countering mis- and disinformation as well as negative rhetoric targeting marginalized racial and ethnic communities, as well as refugees, asylum seekers, and migrants
- Strengthening the capacity of independent media outlets to investigate and develop fact-based, quality reporting on rights issues impacting marginalized racial and ethnic communities and underrepresented groups
- Supporting content development and community-based journalism by underrepresented and vulnerable communities on rights-related issues of community concern
- Promoting collaboration and engagement between media actors and civil society organizations representative of diverse communities and perspectives
- Facilitating collaboration and knowledge exchange on confronting hate speech and promoting diversity, equity, accessibility and inclusion in the media
Working with local actors and partners in the selected country, including independent media outlets and civil society organizations, should be a central aspect of any proposed programme.
See here to learn more and apply.
Access the Fundraising Guide for expert advice on how to improve your fundraising applications and to identify prospective donors.