FREE PRESS UNLIMITED SEEKING BRUSSELS-BASED ADVOCACY COORDINATOR
If you don’t know what’s going on around you, how can you make the right decisions? Only one in seven of us lives in a country with a free press – with access to independent journalism. Free Press Unlimited acts as an enabling environment for the media and it is our mission to ensure that impartial information is available to people everywhere.
We want to consolidate our work on press freedom and media development by working on our policy influence and visibility in Brussels. This is a new position with an opportunity to make an considerable impact. You will receive direct supervision from the Director of Policy and Programmes and work closely alongside the Policy & Advocacy and Donor Relations departments providing guidance and advice where necessary. You will be our active networker, lobbyist and representative in Brussels in help us to increase our influence on policy as well as create more visibility for the organisation at relevant EU institutions, including the European Parliament and Commission. You will not
only demonstrate our core expertise on a wide range of issues related to press freedom and media development but also be proactive in creating situation and policy analysis and advocacy products and analysing their success, to enable Free Press Unlimited to be a leading voice on press freedom and media development in Brussels. You will be an effective communicator, not only arranging events, conferences, workshops and media opportunities to draw attention to our work, alongside providing the Communications Department with relevant input, including web and social media content. You will also identify opportunities to help us gain access to decision makers of fund mechanisms.
We are looking for you if you have:
- A university degree in international relations, political science, development studies or another related field (a first-level university degree in combination with qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree).
- A minimum of 5-7 years of relevant professional experience within the EU is highly desirable.
- Demonstrated experience with developing and managing relations with politicians and other relevant decision makers.
- An existing network within the media development, international development, civil society and /or human rights community.
- Interest in press freedom and media development and a passion for making a difference.
- An enthusiastic and proactive attitude when building partnerships with a broad range of internal and external stakeholders.
- A results-oriented and pro-active approach in order to help innovate and continuously improve our lobbying and advocacy outputs.
- Professional competence of written and verbal communication skills in English.
- Proficiency in additional languages (such as Dutch and French) is a plus.
What we offer
This is a position in a dynamic, international environment based in Brussels. A frequent presence at our office in Amsterdam is required. An appointment for one year, with the possibility of extension depending on performance.
Free Press Unlimited uses fair selection criteria based on equal opportunities.
Then we would love to hear from you! Please apply by sending your English CV and short cover letter (both in PDF format) no later than August 30 to Tamara Lunacek (HR Officer) via the following application form. For questions about the position you can contact Leon Willems, Director Policy & Programmes (firstname.lastname@example.org)
If we appoint a suitable candidate before the given closing date, we reserve the right to remove the vacancy from our website before that date. Non-EU candidates need to have a valid work permit to be considered for this role. An assessment and screening can be part of the selection process.