Organisation: Council for Mass Media in Finland
The Dutch-speaking Press Council in Belgium (Raad) and the Council for Mass Media in Finland (MGCCM) are launching a project to support organisations that want to set up new press or media councils in countries or regions where one does not yet exist.
The project is part of the Media Councils in the Digital Age #4 project, which is co-funded by the European Commission.
The call is addressed to journalist associations, (umbrella organizations of) media organisations or other relevant stakeholders.
As bodies of journalistic self-regulation, press, and media councils are critical to a democratic and accountable media ecosystem, but the first steps to set up a press or media council are often complex and there is not one simple model. The project will provide substantive support with reference to various organisational models, based on previous research in the context of the MCDA project.
The project aims to provide specific organisational and substantive support based on the needs of the particular country/organisation. The approach will depend on the development of the organisations in becoming a press or media council.
The projects include:
- an exploratory discussion with the organisation about the phase they are in with regard to the establishment of a press and media council;
- the elaboration of an action plan and subsequent discussion with the organisation involved;
- an on-site workshop with the concerned organisation and relevant actors in the country or region concerned;
- elaboration and editing of a strategic and operational report for the organisation involved;
- an on-site round table with all selected partners for intervention and exchange of experiences and best practices.
This grant provides funding for all steps and components: substantive support, accommodation, catering, and travel costs.
The call is open to the following countries or regions within those countries that do not yet have a press or media council:
- EU Member States;
- Countries of the European Free Trade Association (EFTA) which are part of the European Economic Area (EEA);
- EU Acceding countries, candidate countries, and potential candidates;
- European Neighbourhood Policy countries: Armenia, Georgia, Tunisia, Ukraine.The application must include
- : a description of the applicant organisation (objectives, operation, financing);
- a description of the objectives, background, and state of affairs (if steps have already been taken) in the process of establishing a press or media council;
- an overview of the stakeholders (persons or organisations) that are to be involved in the project.