CONSULTANT FOR OPEN-SOURCE COMMUNITY MANAGEMENT PROJECT
About BASICS Specialists:
Internews’ BASICS project (Building Analytical and Support Infrastructure for Critical Security tools) is improving the sustainability of critical open source privacy and security tools by building ties between tool teams and the communities they serve. Many powerful and widely used open source security and privacy tools are maintained by individuals or small groups of volunteers who are often under-resourced, lack the ability to receive grant funding, and do not have the means to hire additional support to advance their project’s goals.
Internews will place skilled individuals with open source tool teams as contributing specialists who will help address tool needs. Contributing specialists will be supervised and supported by Internews and connected with a partner from the tool team(s) for mentoring and coordination.
Internews is a very diverse organization globally that values the perspectives that result from the inclusivity of different voices, and the foundation of their work is to support free and open communications between all people. We are an organization of dynamic, mission-driven individuals who are passionate about their core values and about supporting positive change in the world. They pride themselves on their commitment to innovation and flexibility. Internews is an EEO employer and strongly encourage people from all backgrounds to apply for any open positions.
Scope of Work
This is a paid position on a 3-month full-time contract. The expected Level of Effort for the Specialist will be 40 hours per week contributing to activities such as the following:
Events & Recruiting
- Identify, prepare for, and manage event opportunities; organize tool team participation at public events and hackathons, virtual or in person.
- Help tool teams anchored within a single organization to recruit their first external contributor(s)
- Publicize opportunities to participate in tool development to potential contributors over public channels
- Send regular project updates and publicize opportunities to participate in the tool’s contributor community over email, social media and other public channels
Onboarding New Contributors & Documentation Improvements
- Develop onboarding process for new contributors
- Help establish baseline metrics for community health
- Conduct an audit of existing documentation available for contributors
- Write new and improve existing documentation
- Document team roles and responsibilities and decision-making process publicly
Issue Triage & Prioritization
- Help triage Issues and Pull Requests for all tool repositories, with emphasis on community contributions
- Recommend process improvements in areas such as issues triage and prioritization
- Develop methods for automating reminders about aged issues or PRs that require follow-up
- Review, organize, and curate old issues to make them accessible for external contributors to resolve
The specialist should have:
- Experience contributing to Open Source tools and familiarity with collaboration platforms like GitHub or GitLab
- Strong writing skills
- Enthusiasm for community engagement
- Demonstrated understanding of and commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
- Preferred: Prior experience in community management roles
- Preferred: Lived experience in Internet environments facing challenges emerging from electricity and bandwidth limitations, censorship, surveillance, and other oppressive, anti-open-internet activities
The specialist should demonstrate enthusiasm for Open Source software, excitement to learn, and commitment to freedom of speech and journalist safety.
Tools the BASICS Specialist will be supporting include:
Whonix is a free and open-source desktop operating system (OS) that is specifically designed to preserve privacy and anonymity by helping users run applications anonymously. Based on Tor, Debian GNU/Linux and the principle of security by isolation, Whonix addresses common attack vectors while maintaining usability via fail-safe, automatic and desktop-wide use of the Tor network. Whonix can be installed on Windows, macOS and Linux. Whonix also comes pre-installed in Qubes. Target users of Whonix include investigative journalists and whistleblowers, researchers and government officials who may be targets of espionage, political activists under targeted surveillance and attack, and average computer users in a repressive or censored environment.
Tella is a documentation app specifically designed to protect users in repressive environments. It is used by activists, journalists, and civil society groups to document human rights violations, corruption, or electoral fraud. Tella encrypts and hides sensitive material on your device, and quickly deletes it in emergency situations; and groups and organizations can deploy it among their members to collect data for research, advocacy, or legal proceedings. Tella has three main objectives:
- Protecting users who engage in documentation from physical and digital repression
- Protecting the data they collect from censorship, tampering, interception, and destruction
- Empowering individuals and groups to easily, quickly, and effectively collect data and produce high quality documentation that can be used for research, advocacy, or transitional justice
SecureDrop is an open source platform for secure communication between journalists and anonymous sources. SecureDrop is used by 75 media organizations around the world, from mainstream news organizations (NYT, Washington Post, Guardian, Reuters, etc.) to small investigative teams operating in countries with severe Internet freedom and human rights issues or those reporting on corruption around the world (e.g., OCCRP, ICIJ, Global Witness). It is available in 20 languages.
Lookyloo is a web interface allowing to scrape a website and then displays a tree of domains calling each other. It is used to investigate website activities and understand privacy issues.
To apply, please visit the Internews website: https://chm.tbe.taleo.net/chm04/ats/careers/v2/viewRequisition?org=INTERNEWS&cws=38&rid=1158
More job vacancies can be found in our Job Opportunities page.