C4D HIRING CAPACITY DEVELOPMENT CONSULTANT
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world’s leading children’s rights organization would like to hear from you. For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children’s survival, protection and development. The world’s largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments. UNICEF has over 12,000 staff in more than 145 countries.
The purpose of this assignment is to provide maternity cover to the C4D Specialist – Institutional Capacity Development (P4).
In recent years, UNICEF has made substantial investment in developing both its internal capacity and the capacity of national partners in designing and implementing C4D strategies. In light of growing recognition of the importance of communication engagement across development and humanitarian work and institutional demand for such work, the C4D Section in New York Headquarters is currently updating core C4D trainings, online and offline courses and modules, knowledge management platforms, as well as pools of experts to strengthen competencies and access to expertise in both core C4D skills and new and emerging areas of focus. The section seeks a consultant to advance these efforts while the lead staff member is on extended leave.
Due to COVID remote working arrangements, the consultant should be prepared to work remotely for a considerably portion of this assignment, however the ability to travel to New York for up to a two month period of this contract, should conditions allow, is preferred.
Terms of Reference / Deliverables
Scope of Work:
Under the direct supervision of the C4D Chief, the Institutional Capacity Development consultant will help to advance UNICEF’s ongoing efforts to strengthen its capacities to deliver quality C4D programming at scale across the organization. This includes ensuring UNICEF has a critical mass of technical capacity and staff readily available, supporting training and skills building, strengthening partnerships that enhance C4D delivery, and maintaining rosters and other mechanisms to access quality external technical expertise. The consultant will need to work in close coordination and provide technical advice to other members of the C4D team working on the capacity development portfolio, including: 1 consultant working on roster and LTA management, 1 intern supporting capacity building, 1 consultant supporting the Morocco country office on Summit planning.
The consultant will also assist as needed with other functions of the section typically covered by the staff on leave, including but not limited to coordination of joint Adolescent and Youth Engagement Activities with the Adolescent Development and Participation Section and Division of Communication.
Work Assignment Overview
Manage a pool of vendors on long term agreements with UNICEF and manage C4D consultant rosters to ensure smooth access to vendors and consultants for country offices and promote use and uptake of the both mechanisms in close coordination with Supply Division and HR
- Timely response to helpdesk inquiries (ongoing to end of contract)
- Plans and design for a virtual vendor fair/webinar series to introduce field offices to vendor services (Fair/webinars to be held by Feb 28, 2021)
- Track and monitor LTA and roster usage and manage administrative issues as needed (Ongoing. Reports of key statistics delivered twice a year in time for PD Annual Review and mid term review presentations)
- Coordinate and provide inputs to consultant to promote uptake and use of new C4D consultants rosters, support field offices in using the roster, and develop sustainability plan for keeping the rosters current (Support to field offices ongoing. Sustainability plan to be finalized and approved by Section by Nov 31, 2020)
Represent UNICEF in global partnership bodies to strengthen the SBCC Field, including the SBCC Summit Secretariat and the Global Alliance for Social and Behaviour Change. Proactively engage with a variety of partners and plan and deliver UNICEF’s activities in these partnerships
- Represent UNICEF in the SBCC Summit secretariat and ensure UNICEF result areas are reflected in program and content (Ongoing, including weekly calls, to end of contract)
- Coordinate with the Moroccan country office to facilitate coordination/communication between Summit Secretariat and the Moroccan government, including a National Steering Committee for the Summit (Starting in Q4 2020 and then ongoing to end of contract)
- Coordinate with internal stakeholders (HQ divisions and teams, UNICEF participants etc) to ensure coordinated UNICEF presence at the Summit (ongoing to end of contract)
- Coordinate UNICEF’s participation in the Global Alliance for Social and Behaviour Change by ensuring necessary inputs from C4D team members across the Alliance working groups (Up to 4 monthly calls as well as offline coordination as needed till end of contract)
Analyse, report and develop strategic frameworks on C4D staff workforce composition, including number of staff, staff movements, and staff capacities/competencies
- Analyse results of a staff capacity and competency mapping and use results to inform development of a revised competency framework (Competency framework to be completed by Dec 31, 2020)
- Coordinate with HR on tracking of C4D workforce statistics and share and report with C4D team as needed (Ongoing, with quarterly reports to end of contract)
- With HR, establish mechanism for identification of upcoming vacancies and staff rotations (by Dec 31, 2020)
Advance the development of core UNICEF staff learning and training activities
- Oversee contracted agency to ensure completion of 5 minute training video on C4D (By Dec 31, 2020)
- Coordinate with India Country office, South Asia Regional office, and at least one other regional office to initiate partner mapping and assessment to identify university partners for delivery of C4D training (mapping to be completed by March 15, 2021)
- Provide guidance to an intern to finalize a KM repository of UNICEF training content so that UNICEF C4D staff can easily access, search and use materials for local training activities (by Dec 1, 2020)
Represent C4D in cross-cutting processes, including oordinate with other cross cutting teams especially Adolescent Development and Participation (ADAP)
- Represent C4D on the Adolescent Matrix group, including periodic meetings (typically quarterly) and request for comments on documents. (Matrix group eetings aprox. Quarterly)
- Coordinate and gather technical inputs from other C4D team members for draft documents from other teams in Adolscent Matrix Group (As requested by matrix group).
- Assist Adolescent and Youth Engagement (AYE) team with C4D inputs as needed (ongoing to end of contract).
Full eligibility and application criteria can be found here.