The Wikimedia Foundation is looking for a Senior Public Policy Specialist to join our team, reporting to a Lead Public Policy Manager. As the Senior Public Policy Specialist, you will be responsible to increase Wikimedia’s ability to influence public policy debates to promote free knowledge in the Asian context. In this role, you will expand Wikimedia’s network and relationships, engage in public policy processes, and monitor current developments in Asia and around the world to help the Public Policy Team promote people’s ability to participate in knowledge online.
You are responsible for:
- Increase Wikimedia’s ability to shape public policy for the internet in Asia that promotes free knowledge.
- Build Wikimedia’s network and relationships with civil society, industry, and other relevant stakeholders engaged in public policy in Asia.
- Influence legislative, regulatory, and other discussions on key issues in key jurisdictions in Asia and around the world.
- Monitor and analyze public policy developments and proposed laws that affect freedom of expression, privacy, and participation in knowledge, to determine how they may impact the Wikimedia projects and users.
- With the other members of Wikimedia’s Public Policy Team, refine and implement the Wikimedia Foundation’s policy positions and international advocacy strategy.
- Write about how different policy issues affect people’s access to free knowledge and Wikimedia projects specifically.
- Present our policy initiatives to lawmakers and regulators or other influencers; brief and educate key Foundation and Wikimedia constituencies.
- Support the international Wikimedia community in their advocacy work on critical public policy issues and educational campaigns.
- Advise other teams in the Wikimedia Foundation on public policy developments relating to the accomplishment of the Foundation’s mission.
Skills and Experience:
- Graduate degree in law, public policy or related fields and excellent academic credentials. (Equivalent experience will be considered.)
- 3 years of experience working in government, advocacy groups, or think tanks.
- Deep understanding of intermediary liability, intellectual property, privacy, and other internet law issues and their context in Asia.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and attention to detail.
Qualities that are important to us:
- Ability to work in English and at least one other language spoken in Asia
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally as needed, and to work or travel on weekends when necessary.
- Experience working with a remote team
Additionally, we’d love it if you have:
- Experience with open source, free culture, free software, or online communities.
- Prior experience working in the technology or nonprofit sector.
- Strong existing network.
U.S. Benefits & Perks
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their eligible families (yes, fully paid premiums!)
- The Wellness Program provides reimbursement for mind, body and soul activities such as fitness memberships, baby sitting, continuing education and much more
- The 401(k) retirement plan offers matched contributions at 4% of annual salary
- Flexible and generous time off – vacation, sick and volunteer days, plus 22 paid holidays – including the last week of the year.
- Family friendly! 100% paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, flexible options to phase back in after leave, fully equipped lactation room.
- For those emergency moments – long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
- Telecommuting and flexible work schedules available
- Appropriate fuel for thinking and coding (aka, a pantry full of treats) and monthly massages to help staff relax
- Paid travel to Wikimedia Foundation events all around the world!
- Equipment including a laptop, monitor, plus a one-time stipend to cover any additional needs to make sure you have the best work experience
- Great colleagues – diverse staff and contractors speaking dozens of languages from around the world, fantastic intellectual discourse, mission-driven and intensely passionate people
Full details about the position can be found here.