Organisation: Village Square
The Village Square has launched one of a kind Journalism Fellowship to facilitate 10 young journalists to collect and tell incredible stories from rural India.
The Village Square Fellowship aims to encourage young, emerging, and passionate journalists to leverage storytelling as a tool for social change. The purpose of the Fellowship is to provide an opportunity to young changemakers to bring a fresh, inspirational perspective on rural lives.
The Village Square Fellowship is a step towards giving adequate voice to rural India – through nurturing and giving opportunities to dynamic, young journalists.
The fellowship will focus on rural stories and insights from the domains of education, health, sanitation, livelihood, micro-enterprises, and arts and culture.
What is there for fellows?
- Community of like-minded people who are passionate about providing a voice for rural India in the mainstream media narrative.
- A structured learning program that builds on the Fellow’s journalistic knowledge and skills.
- Mentorship from industry experts within the Village Square network.
- The 9 months fellowship will include a monthly stipend of Rs 35,000.
- A certificate will be awarded on successful completion of the fellowship.
- The stories (articles, videos, photo essays) produced by the fellows will be published on the Village Square website and social media platforms.
- Apart from reporting stories every month, fellows will be encouraged to highlight their work during fellowship using social media, be the Village Square ambassadors, and do social media promotion and videos with Village Square.
Selection and Eligibility Criteria:
- Candidate must be between the age of 22-28
- A bachelor’s degree in mass media/journalism
- Candidates with 2 or more years of relevant experience will be preferred
- Ability to live and work in remote, rural areas
- Must demonstrate an interest and understanding of rural India and its issues and challenges
- Comfort with multimedia and other innovative storytelling techniques
The Village Square Fellows will be expected to produce a minimum of 18-20 deliverables, which can be articles (800 words), photo essays or short video stories, or a mix of all.