During a pivotal time of change, the Wikimedia Foundation seeks a Vice President (VP) of Global Advocacy. A newly created role, the VP of Global Advocacy will provide strategic leadership and direction to a currently three-person and growing team of public policy and advocacy experts on the Public Policy team. The Public Policy team works to establish and defend a legal and regulatory landscape that is essential to Wikipedia and other free educational projects, and to enable the Foundation to advance its mission amidst political, technological, and societal challenges. The VP will be an experienced public policy professional who can run campaigns on crucial issues for the Foundation’s mission, such as intermediary liability, copyright, and access to knowledge. The immediate focus of the Public Policy team is to raise Wikimedia’s profile and influence in debates that affect the ability of Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects to function as sources of free knowledge. A member of the Legal Department, the VP will report to the General Counsel, and work closely with outside digital rights advocates and Wikimedia affiliates around the world.
The VP of Global Advocacy will address a number of essential functions including driving the development of the global advocacy strategy, providing vision, structure and strategy to a high-performing and growing Public Policy team, clarifying and delegating operational planning, and negotiating advocacy objectives within the organization’s strategy. The VP will recruit and manage diverse, exceptional global talent, oversee career development and engagement of the team, and keep the General Counsel, Executive Director, and other members of the executive team and Board of Trustees current on key policy trends and important developments. The VP is responsible for leading proactive plans to influence public policy in key areas, developing strategic plans to effectively advance the policy agenda in the face of challenges, and developing proposals, including legislative and regulatory initiatives, to support free knowledge consistent with the Wikimedia Guiding Principles. In addition, the VP will increase public engagement in Wikimedia’s policy positions, build and coordinate activism on critical issues, oversee advocacy communications strategy, and work collaboratively with other members of the Public Policy team and with other teams across the Wikimedia Foundation.
How to Apply
Screening of complete applications will begin immediately and continue until the completion of the search process. For more details, including the full position profile and to submit inquiries, nominations, referrals, or resumes with cover letters please see the website of Isaacson, Miller, Wikimedia’s search partners, at www.imsearch.com/7942.
If you are a qualified applicant requiring assistance or an accommodation to complete any step of the application process due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
U.S. Benefits & Perks
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their eligible families (yes, fully paid premiums!)
- The Wellness Program provides reimbursement for mind, body and soul activities such asfitness memberships, babysitting, continuing education and much more.
- The 401(k) retirement plan offers matched contributions at 4% of annual salary.
- Flexible and generous time off – vacation, sick and volunteer days, plus 22 additional paidholidays, including the last week of the year.
- Family friendly! 100% paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks forpregnancy, flexible options to phase back in after leave, fully equipped lactation room.
- For those emergency moments – long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program.
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parkingexpenses.
- Remote and flexible work schedules available.
- Appropriate fuel for thinking and coding (aka, a pantry full of treats) and monthly massages tohelp staff relax.
- Paid travel to Wikimedia Foundation events all around the world.
- Equipment including a laptop, monitor, plus a one-time stipend to cover any additional needs to make sure you have the best work experience.
- Great colleagues – diverse staff and contractors speaking dozens of languages from around the world, fantastic intellectual discourse, mission-driven and intensely passionate people.
Please, read more about this position here.