The Thomson Reuters Foundation is seeking a creative and entrepreneurial individual to lead their social media team and set the strategic direction for their channels. As Head of Social Media, the candidate will oversee social-native content (infographics, videos, etc), take a leading role in the development of campaigns for major projects and use data to inform decision-making and fuel growth and engagement. The Head of Social Media will also be consultative, providing guidance across the Foundation on social media best practices; lead their social media strategy and stay up to date with the latest trends in publishing on social media.
The Head of Social Media will work across their editorial social media accounts — sharing and repackaging journalism from news.trust.org and Openly — and their corporate communications channels, which focus on the broader work of the Foundation. Later this year Thomson Reuters Foundation will be launching an exciting new editorial product and the Head of Social Media (and their team!) will play a crucial role in its launch and subsequent success.
As Head of Social Media at the Thomson Reuters Foundation, you will:
- Line-manage a small team that produces engaging social content across our corporate and editorial channels (currently 11 accounts across Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, TikTok).
- Oversee work with the newsroom to develop social content for everything from major exclusives to long-form video projects.
- Work with the Communications team to devise social promotion plans around our initiatives and events, from supporting our award-winning TrustLaw team to covering our annual human rights summit, Trust Conference.
- Work with the Digital Marketing Manager on paid social promotion across editorial and corporate channels. You’ll identify new opportunities to expand our reach, increase engagement and grow our audience.
- Use analytics to learn from successes and failures, and continually improve our offering.
- Provide regular social media reports both internally and to external stakeholders (donor reporting) as well as training to employees when relevant.
To be Head of Social Media, you will likely have:
- Significant experience working in a social media role, ideally at a media organisation or media-adjacent.
- Driven demonstrable growth and engagement via social media channels.
- A passion for digital communication, both in journalism and for broader outreach.
- Experience using analytics tools such as CrowdTangle, NewsWhip, or Twitter Analytics.
- Experience using data and insights to drive audience development.
- Experience commissioning, scripting, and editing social native content (social videos and graphics).
- Experience building campaigns for major projects.
- Sound news judgement.
At the Thomson Reuters Foundation, people are their greatest assets. Here are some of the benefits they offer for your personal and professional growth:
- Global Perspective and Impact: Interested in working for a dynamic global organization with a focus on social impact? With hubs all over the world from Bangkok to Madrid to Rio de Janeiro, join a truly international team with a shared goal of helping to build societies around the world that are free, fair and informed.
- A Unique Approach: Foundation’s expertise in media and the law is world class; they combine the power of both to address the critical issues faced by humanity.
- Relevance: With a focus on advancing media freedom, fostering more inclusive economies and promoting human rights, their work has never been more needed than right now.
- Benefits: They offer competitive salary packages and market-leading benefits.
- Learning & Development: They are dedicated to the continual professional development of our employees and offer access to both in-house and external training opportunities.
To apply, please click here.
Organisation: Thomson Reuters Foundation
Location: Canary Wharf, London.