Thomson Foundation is a British non-profit devoted to encouraging truthful and unbiased journalism as a way of promoting civil society. It has a 50-year track record of training journalists in ethical standards and quality reporting in more than 100 countries. It works with media organisations, governments, civil society organisations and commercial bodies, principally in Africa, Asia and the Middle East, who wish to sponsor professional standards in communications. The foundation is independent and non-political.
Thomson is looking for a full-time project manager to organise the planning, implementation and reporting of donor projects for the Thomson Foundation and its associated German entity, Thomson Media gGmbH.
Reports to: Operations Manager.
Key working relationships with Director of Development and Head of Finance.
Based: London (flexible working. 37.5-hour week).
• Set up and manage logistics and financial support framework for projects funded by governmental, philanthropic or commercial donors.
• Monitor performance against budget and work with key stakeholders to keep projects on, or below, budget.
• Provide assistance in planning and scheduling of accounting/payments for managed projects.
• Draft and issue contracts for project consultants
• Ensure projects work to optimum efficiency by accurately capturing the use and allocation of all internal and external resource – staff, contractors and equipment, etc.
• Coordinate and manage project teams both remotely and on-site
• Provide technical backstopping, reporting of results, financial and staffing usage internally and to donors/funders.
• Share learning and good practice between projects
• Assist with preparing and writing proposals for donor-funded media projects.
• At least 2+ years of first-hand experience of project management of large-scale media-related projects for governmental, philanthropic or media industry funders – ideally all three.
• Advanced knowledge of spreadsheet skills, budgeting and financial reporting requirements for governmental, philanthropic or media funders.
• Maintain regular communication with both internal and external stakeholders.
• Good people skills, and collaborative working style.
• Appreciation of different national and regional cultures globally.
• Strong interest in media and media development
• Fluent in English and at least one other language, ideally German, Russian or Arabic.
• Prepared to work flexibly during peak and off peak times.
• Ability to support media development projects in other practical ways, as required.
Please send your CV and a covering letter, detailing how you meet the criteria, to email@example.com by 5pm on 15th January 2021. Only successful applications will be contacted and interviews will take place via Zoom. Any questions? please email us.