Location: United States or United Kingdom
Internews is looking for a Subgrants Officer for the Media Viability Accelerator (MVA) Forward who will ensure the successful execution of Internews subgrants from solicitation to negotiation to award close-out and will be responsible for maintaining effective and productive relationships with local media outlets and civil society organizations, including core partners, sub-grantees, and small grant recipients.
ABOUT THE PROJECT
Internews is implementing a 3-year program from USAID which will be known as MVA Forward. It will be a highly visible initiative (announced at the 2021 and 2023 Summits for Democracy) and could have substantial impact on the media sector worldwide. Through the MVA Forward project, Internews will establish the Media Viability Accelerator (MVA), a new web-based platform that will help media outlets compete for audiences and revenues by accessing and tracking business, market, and audience data for their on markets, as well as by providing opportunities to learn from their peers – both locally and globally. The platform will also support media outlets to find help by creating an online “marketplace” to engage with media experts, data integration experts, and/or media sector stakeholders. Additionally, MVA Forward will provide opportunities to incorporate new strategies into independent media operations by providing flexible funding and technical support.
Internews has offices in Washington, DC and London, UK which support a hybrid workforce with staff working remotely, fully in-office, or partially remote. This is a remote-based role, and candidates based anywhere in the United States or United Kingdom will be considered.
DAY-TO-DAY TASKS will include:
- Establish subgrants procedures and tracking mechanisms.
- Ensure technical, financial, and administrative compliance with Internews’ and donors’ subgrant management and reporting requirements.
- Contribute to subgrant solicitation design and application review.
- Oversee the preparation of subgrant approval request packages in compliance with funders’ policies and procedures.
- Draft and share for approval subgrant agreement packages in compliance with Internews’ and funders’ policies and procedures.
- Ensure that partners and subrecipients are informed about all supporting documentation and reporting requirements, providing guidance as needed.
- Organize briefings with partners focused on contracts and financial reports forms. Support subgrantees on financial and procurement-related matters, organizing capacity-building sessions as needed.
- Manage MVA partners’ subgrants; resolve and escalate any financial or reporting issues to Partnerships Manager as needed.
- Ensure timely financial and programmatic reporting, collaboratively with relevant Internews staff as needed.
- Ensure timely and thoroughly close-out of all subgrants.
- Relevant university degree in business administration, accounting, project management, international affairs, or another closely related field OR equivalent lived/professional experience.
- A minimum of 5 years of relevant professional experience, including at least 2 years of experience in subaward management, preferably on a similar project with an international NGO.
- Professional proficiency (written and spoken) in English.
- Experience working on USAID-funded projects, and familiarity with the donor’s reporting mechanism, rules, and regulations related to grants and subgrants management.
- Proven interpersonal skills, including excellent team building and communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate complex concepts effectively.
- Ability to work both independently and in collaboration with colleagues.
- Demonstrated organizational skills, ability to multi-task, and prioritize workload.
Note: Candidates who do not have these preferred qualifications, but who are interested and willing to learn, are encouraged to apply.
- Experience working with news media.
- Additional language and translation skills in languages such as French, Spanish, Russian, Ukrainian and Arabic.