Location: Latin America
Internews is looking for a Subgrants and Financial Manager to play a vital role in supporting the implementation of a media project in Latin America.
Their responsibilities will encompass both financial and subgrant management duties to ensure effective project coordination, compliance with Internews guidelines and funder regulations, and efficient financial management. They will support all aspects of subgrant development, issuance, management, and closeout, including substantial coaching and mentorship to subgrant partners on subgrant proposal design, agreement negotiation, financial report review, deliverables tracking, disbursement of funds, compliance with requirements, and monitoring of project results. The Subgrants and Financial Manager and their team will provide key input to project implementation staff, including work specifications, budget plans, and input to annual strategic planning processes.
This position will be based remotely in Latin America.
DAY-TO-DAY TASKS will include
- Collaborate with the Activity Director and other project staff to coordinate and monitor project implementation. ‘
- Efficiently manage subgrant transactions in ERP to ensure accurate and quality reporting.
- Facilitate smooth project start-up by coordinating with subgrantees during the onboarding process.
- Oversee the collection of required local partner documentation, including registration, capacity questionnaires, budget inputs, and negotiations.
- Provide technical and operational capacity building to subgrantees.
- Oversee the full cycle of subgrant management activities, from solicitation through selection, pre-award assessment, negotiation, monitoring/compliance, and closeout.
- Act as the primary point of contact for local subgrantees and contractors, fostering positive relationships.
- Ensure grants administration is compliant with funder requirements and approved project Grants Manual.
- Review subrecipient financial reports and deliverables for accuracy, timeliness, and compliance with funder requirements and subaward agreements.
- Maintain transparent and auditable grant paperwork filing systems.
- Train program staff and partners on grant policies and procedures.
- Maintain comprehensive project accounting records in ERP, adhering to funder requirements and Intenrews policies.
- Monitor project budgets to ensure spending aligns with budgeted amounts.
- Process accounting requests in ERP, such as expense reports and wire transfer requests, in compliance with funder and Internews policies.
- Work closely with the regional Business Manager and finance teams to assist in budget development and, when necessary, budget realignments.
- Support the preparation and timely submission of financial reports to ensure regulatory compliance.
- Analyze project expenses by line item for monthly reporting to project management.
- Support VAT reporting for donors.
- Collaborate with head offices to ensure financial coordination.
Compliance and Reporting
- Ensure subgrants are implemented in accordance with funder requirements and Internews policies.
- Work closely with the grants and contracts team to establish and maintain compliance monitoring systems and produce compliance reports.
- Conduct procurement documentation reviews for completeness and accuracy.
- Perform periodic reviews of organizational compliance and internal control processes.
- Facilitate start-up and close-out workshops to ensure staff understanding of contractual and compliance requirements.
QUALIFICATIONS WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- Relevant University degree in finance, accounting, business administration, or a related field OR equivalent lived/professional experience.
- Demonstrated experience in subgrant and financial management for international development projects, preferably with USAID funding.
- Strong understanding fo donor compliance regulations, including USAID requirements.
- Proficiency in financial analysis, budget management, and reporting.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, with the ability to work effectively with diverse teams.
- Fluency in Spanish and English required.
- Detail-oriented and highly organized, with a commitment to accuracy. Proficiency in financial software and tools, including Excel and accounting software.
- Ability to travel occasionally to project sites in Latin America.
- Prior experience working for an international nonprofit.
- CPA or similar qualification preferred.
- Prior experience managing and/or mentoring staff.