IREX is seeking broadcast TV, radio, and online technical experts and trainers to design and deliver on-site (on-the-job) trainings for Syrian media outlet partners supported through IREX’s Supporting Independent Media in Syria II (SIMS-II) program. IREX has several program partners (both radio and TV) that provide Arabic-language broadcasts, including information and news programs, to Syrian audiences. Managers and staff at these stations have received varying levels of training; however, all will benefit from a broad spectrum of professional development in virtually every aspect of broadcast management, operations, and production.
IREX will select multiple candidates, on an ongoing basis, to coordinate training design and preparation, training and coaching sessions, and reporting/follow-up activities with IREX’s project staff. Training assignments will range in duration from less than one (1) week to one (1) year; however, consultant contracts may include multiple training assignments within a single scope of work. In most cases, trainers will be embedded within media outlets as part of training assignments. Under no circumstances will trainers be required or expected to travel within Syria.
IREX is seeking trainers with documented experience delivering on-site training in the following subject matter/skill areas:
- Newsroom and editorial management
- Mobile phone journalism (mojo)
- Shooting (on conventional video cameras) and editing
- TV news production and reporting.
- Live on-location reporting and social media live reporting
- User Generated Content (UGC)/Verification
- Radio news production and reporting
- Talk show production for TV and radio
- Radio and television on-air presentation
- Multi-media story-telling and re-versioning
- Multimedia strategy
- Program scheduling and formatting
- Technical broadcast operations (studio design, lighting, camera operations)
- Transmission engineering
- Radio and/or television management
- Sales and marketing strategy
- Evaluation and application of audience research
- Financial management for media outlets
- Media business strategy
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
IREX will assign selected trainers to work with one or more SIMS partner stations on a given training assignment. Some training activities will require co-training among two or more selected trainers. Each assignment will be unique. Certain factors may change between assignments, such as the training site and/or beneficiaries, training topics and/or format, the number and/or experience level of trainees, IREX’s reporting requirements, the presence of co-trainers, and so on. Successful candidates will be able to establish and maintain collegial, supportive, and productive relationships with partner station management and staff, as well as other IREX/SIMS-II consultants and trainers.
Selected candidates will:
- Develop on-the-job training plans and schedules as directed by IREX and in coordination with SIMS lead media development consultants (“mentors”);
- Deliver on-the-job training at radio or television outlets (circumstances may occasionally require that training be delivered remotely);
- Provide IREX and beneficiary media outlets with recommendations for follow-up training, technical upgrades, and management decisions based on results of training interventions;
- Produce comprehensive, written, English-language reports, detailing activities undertaken within each training assignment, actions taken by beneficiary outlets as a result of training activities, recommendations for future training, and other information as requested by IREX; and,
- Perform other responsibilities as requested.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Minimum of seven (7) years of experience in television, radio and/or online in such roles as station general manager, program manager, journalist/reporter/correspondent, newsroom manager, editor/editor-in-chief, producer, presenter, technical engineer, or their equivalent (10+ years’ experience is desired)
- Demonstrated experience as a trainer in broadcast television, radio, or a related field (3+ years’ experience is strongly desired)
- Experience working in political transition and conflict/post-conflict environments is preferred.
- Experience working in the MENA (Middle East/North Africa) geographic region is preferred.
- Ability to use and train others to use digital editing software applications is desired – Final Cut Pro, Adobe Premiere Suite, and/or After Effects
- A high degree of professional reputation will be considered as part of candidates’ evaluation. Candidates should therefore include professional references within their CVs, ideally for the broadcast outlets at which they have radio and/or television work experience or for which they have delivered training.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Excellent English-language writing skills for training assignment reports are required.
- Advanced or native fluency in Arabic is strongly desired.
- Strong interpersonal skills, particularly in multi-cultural environments
- Ability to work under pressure
Please, apply here.