Organisation: BBC Media Action
Location: Africa, Asia or the UK
BBC Media Action is looking for a Senior Media Development Advisor to provide strategic leadership and support our country teams across the world in the area of Media Development.
This is a global role, working closely with internal and external stakeholders to grow our work in this area and improve the quality of projects and research that BBC Media Action delivers.
This post is responsible for providing in-depth knowledge as part of the organisation’s strategic thinking, learning and influence in the field of Media Development. Working closely with the Head of Advisory, the post is responsible for managing specialist technical advisory support to the rest of the organisation in their thematic area, ensuring the creation and maintenance of external relationships in the field of Media Development, supporting and, when appropriate, guiding business development in this field and ensuring that the organisation becomes increasingly respected for its practice, evidence and impact.
- Work closely with BBC Media Action teams to improve the quality of project delivery, research and evidence generation and learning around media development
- Developing and articulating evidence-based strategies and approaches
- Providing expert advice on how the organisation can be innovative and support healthy media ecosystems
- Develop staff, institutional and partner capacity under this theme.
- Play a lead role identifying and engaging with influential external stakeholders about the potential of media and communication in these areas.
- Represent BBC Media Action externally, forging relationships with major external partners, stakeholders and funding bodies
- Support and where appropriate guide the development of business development relationships, exploring and generating business development opportunities
- Support, and when relevant direct, the development of institutional proposals specific to media development.
- Strong experience, knowledge and understanding of how media and communication can impact on media development.
- Capacity to exercise intellectual leadership on media development and experience of engaging with relevant external research, practice and policy agendas at a high level.
- Extensive contacts and high-level networking ability within the fields of media development.
- Extensive experience of working with media practitioners.
- Strong understanding of the international development system, particularly in relation to media ecosystems.
- Experience delivering work that supports healthy media ecosystems.
- Experience building capacity among staff and partners to support healthy media ecosystems.
- A proven capability in business development relevant to this field and in the formation of external institutional and professional relationships with donors and other development actors in the field.
- The ability to work effectively across teams and to mobilise resources to achieve impact.
- Excellent communication and writing skills.
- Ability and willingness to travel as required to deliver the job.