Location: Arcata, CA USA
Internews is looking for a Senior Audit Associate who will be responsible for providing complex audit and risk management support to the Enterprise Risk and Global Operations Division.
Under the supervision of the Director of Audit and Solutions, the Senior Audit Associate is responsible for providing complex audit and risk management support to the Enterprise Risk and Global Operations Division. This role assists the Audit department with all functions, including organizing and conducting regular reviews of data entered into Internews’ ERP software to ensure compliance with internal policies and external regulations. This role is also primarily responsible for compiling data into dashboards and registers for easy consumption by stakeholders outside of the Audit and Solutions team, requiring proficiency in ERP software, intermediate to advanced Excel skills, an understanding of finance and accounting procedures, and an understanding of data visualization and other methods of summarizing numerical information.
Internews has US offices in Arcata, California, and Washington, DC which support a hybrid workforce with staff working remotely, fully in-office, or partially remote. Ultimately, this position may work remotely from the US, partially remotely from our Arcata, CA office, or fully in-office for candidates based in the Arcata, CA area. Our ideal candidate is based in the Pacific time zone.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, so candidates are encouraged to apply soon.
DAY-TO-DAY TASKS will include:
- Assists with all aspects of the annual Headquarters audit, including year-round preparation projects.
- Coordinate with business operations and country office teams to collect data and documentation for audits.
- Files organizes, and reviews financial records to support various audits.
- Leads sections of internal audits, including identifying samples, reviewing documentation, and ensuring work papers adequately reflect tests and support findings.
- Tracks the remediation plan for internal and external audits and performs follow-up testing to confirm the resolution of issues.
- Supports internal audits through voucher review, testing, and participation in interviews.
- As part of a team, identifies and defines emerging risks to the organization.
Regular Compliance Monitoring
- Monitors reports of potential errors and compliance issues from ERP software and works with finance and programs teams for resolutions.
- Coordinates with finance team members to complete monthly voucher reviews and resolve any related issues.
- Contributes to the completion of the monthly Local Accounting System Risk Report (LASRR) for distribution.
External Support and Solutions
- Provides inventory and document management support to opening and closing country offices.
- Supports inventory acquisition and disposal processes and maintenance of accurate inventory information for all offices.
- Assists with developing forms and training materials for use to support business operations.
- Backstops general functions of the Enterprise Risk and Solutions team and overall Enterprise Risk and Global Operations department.
- Monitors audit systems and processes for operating inefficiencies and supports end-user engagement to improve the experience.
- Encourages a management and organizational climate that is aware of and supports ERM.
- Minimal international travel may be required to assist local country offices with audits or closeouts.
- In all duties, uphold Internews’ Core Values and demonstrate commitment to fostering a culture of Belonging, Dignity, and Justice.
- Other duties as assigned
QUALIFICATIONS WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- Minimum 3 years of previous related audit, data analysis, accounting, or bookkeeping experience.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent relevant lived/professional experience.
- Intermediate expertise in Microsoft Office, particularly Excel.
- Demonstrated ability to explain complex concepts to those who are unfamiliar with them.
- Proven organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Proven ability to set priorities and manage time effectively while handling multiple ongoing assignments.
- Proven ability to work both independently and as an effective team member.
- Proven ability to operate effectively in a multicultural environment.
- Professional-level fluency in English.
- Knowledge of finance and accounting best practices, procedures and administrative practices, including internal controls and Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Experience with data analysis, sampling methodologies, and/or data visualization, and related programs, such as Power BI.
- Proficiency in languages other than English.
Note: Candidates who do not have these preferred qualifications, but who are interested and willing to learn, are encouraged to apply
The annual salary range for this position is US $58,400 – US $73,000
The above salary range applies to US-based candidates only. If based outside the United States, the benefits and salary structure that apply will ultimately be based on the candidate’s location.