– an individual member of one of the WFSJ’s 67 member associations and working with independent media as a staff employee or freelance journalist
– a group made up of such members
– a member association
- Type of funding: Programmatic
- Target countries: Worldwide
- Application language: English
The Spark Grant Initiative (SGI) will provide funding for work that strengthens science journalism locally while also benefitting the worldwide community. Proposals are now being accepted for projects that enhance the boundaries of science journalism at every level, applying novel approaches, novel tools, knowledge sharing, international cooperation, and ideas with the ability to surprise us all.The program will run under the auspices of the WFSJ, which will showcase the results of the chosen projects as part of next year’s World Conference of Science Journalists in Medellín, Colombia.
- Proposals can be put forward by individuals or groups, but they must be presented in the name of a WFSJ member association along with a letter that defines the association’s relationship with the project.
- Each person/group/association can submit only one project. The same individual cannot be part of two different groups.
- Projects or initiatives must be brand new, i.e., not the continuation or renewal of existing initiative.
- The proposed activity must be entirely journalistic, which means independent of vested interests, balanced in its perspective, and respecting ethics associated with the profession.
- Special consideration will be given to projects strengthening the cooperation between science journalists’ communities in different countries or designed as demonstration projects that others might emulate.
- If the project is based on digital technology, the software platform should be open source and the content ready to be shared with other interested parties.
- Proposals must contain a detailed budget and precise timeline, with clear descriptions of at least two milestones and deliverables.
- Proposals must be made in English, but projects themselves can be conducted and presented in another language.
See here to learn more and apply.
Organisation: World Federation of Science Journalists