Code for Africa (CfA) has an immediate vacancy for a full-time Research Manager to join their CivicSignal team.
The position is based at one of our regional hubs in Kenya, Nigeria, Senegal or South Africa. We’re also open to exceptional applicants from elsewhere in Africa.The successful candidate will join CfA’s transnational CivicSignal research team, which drives analysis of the continent’s media ecosystem and emerging civic technology sector. You will be part of a multinational and multilingual team that uses natural language processing (NLP) and machine intelligence tools and digital surveys/analysis to create research reports and datasets for a global audience and international institutional partners. Candidates must have demonstrable experience in managing research teams, in planning and coordinating the execution of data-driven digital research projects and transforming the research insights into publishable formats. The ideal applicant is fluent in English. Additional proficiency in international languages such as French and/or Arabic would be an advantage.
- Evidence of managing a substantive research project, or research team.
- Experience in building design approaches and methodologies for research teams, and a familiarity with taxonomies and schema that inform research projects.
- Strong analytical and logical skills, with a demonstrable track record translating data into actionable insights.
- An understanding of media ecosystems and economies and/or digital advocacy and/or digital civic engagement.
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to write for publication, present research insights and shape research proposals.
- Meticulous eye for detail to ensure data integrity and analytical precision.
- The ability to collaborate with a diverse set of multidisciplinary project stakeholders.
- Experience in working with remote, distributed teams with agile methodologies.
- Previous experience of contributing to reports and research publications
- Proactive, solutions-oriented approach to problem solving
- Ability to work under tight deadlines with good prioritisation and time management skills
- Ability to work with minimal instruction in a teamwork environment
- Strong organisational, analytical and interpersonal skills
- High professional standards and ethics
- Competence in open-source intelligence (OSINT) research techniques, including data scraping, data mining and other intelligence gathering techniques.
- Competence in computational linguistics, natural language processing (NLP), and specifically the methodologies and tools offered by the MediaCloud.org platform.
- Multiple languages, such as French, Arabic and other languages spoken in Africa.
- Setting the research agenda, overseeing research projects, and coordinating and managing the research team
- Standardising research methodologies/taxonomies/schema, research approaches and documentation according to international benchmarks.
- Ensuring research outcomes are aligned with organisational goals and lead to meaningful outcomes.
- Designing, and reporting on, research projects for external and internal partners.
- Collaborating with the CfA tech and data teams to ensure that CivicSignal is in sync with larger organisational goals.
- Work proactively and think critically to help improve data and research capabilities in CfA’s research department.
- Liaise with the Senior Programme Manager for our Engagement and CivicSignal teams, to coordinate report launches and related events.
Organisation: Code for Africa (CfA)
Location: Kenya, Nigeria, Senegal or South Africa