Internews’ newly created Digital Democracy team is seeking a candidate for the position of Research & Advocacy Specialist. This role will be a core team member to support Internews’ expertise on the role of information in expanding democracy and human rights with an emphasis on technology/internet policy, corporate and platform accountability. The work of the Digital Democracy team is a key strategic pillar for Internews’ organizational priorities, a part of the 2025 Strategic Framework.
- Develop key communications, methodologies, research, evaluation, and data collection to build a knowledge base to support integration into broader Internews work;
- Issue spotting and research development on the themes of platform accountability, corporate responsibility, internet governance, and tech public policy;
- Champion private sector responsibility assessments with implementation teams;
- Draft position papers and nurture relationships with local partners and teams;
- Manage research projects and resources to deepen the platform accountability expertise within Internews;
- Support organizational learning on research and data outputs from various platform accountability related assessments within implementation teams;
- Develop stakeholder consortiums to develop external research expertise and consultant relationships as well as build networks for effective advocacy efforts;
- Support Platform Accountability Advisor to develop Local Impact Fund strategy in line with Internews’ Global Change Agenda and strategic priorities;
- Coordinate Local Impact Fund calls for proposals;
- Coordinate dispersal of funds under Local Impact Fund;
- Manage impact data collection and evaluation of Local Impact Fund activities and grants;
- Develop IN’s external positioning on private-sector responsibility topics;
- Support business development efforts for accountable institutions work;
- Disseminate and mainstream platform accountability and Digital Democracy team’s work across Internews and to implementation teams;
- Support new strategic partnerships in target platforms/companies and target communities;
- Build strategy for planning, operationalizing, and implementing advocacy strategy around platform accountability research;
- Work with Internews teams and key partner organizations to identify opportunities to build targeted advocacy and build networks/consortiums of advocacy partners;
- In all duties, an understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
- Bachelor’s degree and Graduate degree in International Development, Public Policy, Technology Governance, and or Human rights;
- A minimum of 6 years programmatic experience with Governmental or Tech Public Policy programs and projects;
- Expertise in building methodologies for civil society organizations and implementing data collection workflows in international programs;
- Experience managing and conducting international research projects on relevant digital rights and policy issues;
- Project management, reporting and proposal writing experience for Governments, public agencies, and private sector companies;
- Ability to explain complex technical subjects in lay language to less technically experienced persons, excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Proven ability to work both independently and as an effective team member;
- Proven ability to prioritize and handle multiple ongoing assignments;
- Proficiency in MS Office, Airtable, and Salesforce;
- Strong English language proficiency;
- Fluency in at least one language other than English (French, Arabic, Russia, Mandarin, Spanish, or Portuguese).
Note: Candidates who do not have these preferred qualifications, but are interested and willing to learn, are encouraged to apply.
- Technical expertise in developing or supporting international programs on advocacy for platform accountability, internet governance, and tech and human rights issues;
- Proven ability to convene networks and use an interdisciplinary approach to solve problems;
- Experience working for governments, public sector agencies, or intergovernmental agencies;
- Experience working for tech companies or platforms;
- Experience providing technical support and project oversight to individuals or organizations;
- Proven cross-cultural professional and educational experiences and ability to collaborate with individuals from various backgrounds.
This is a remote-based position. All remote candidates will be considered. However, the candidate must have work authorization in a location that does not require sponsorship from Internews. Additionally, there are locations in which Internews is not able to support fully remote work. To apply please click here.
Organisation: Internews Network and Internews Europe