OCCRP is seeking to hire three regional Africa editors – East, Central and West- to join their team of cross-border investigative journalists and editors. Each editor will be expected to commission, manage, and help produce in producing high-quality investigations that have a real-world impact and directly address the scourge of organized crime and corruption on the continent. Critically, the person should be familiar with the high standards of OCCRP. The respective regional editors will be located in either of the three African regions and be a citizen of that region. They will also liaise closely with the rest of OCCRP’s Africa team, as well as OCCRP editors and journalists around the world. This is a full-time position but can be fashioned as a one-year fellowship.
- Identifying, commissioning, and managing stories
- Working closely with the rest of the Africa team
- Good collaborative skills and the ability to work as a team player with multiple partner centres
- Cultivate new sources and guide journalists towards the successful completion of their stories
- Produce often intricate stories to a tight deadline
- Seek out and foster new partnerships to further investigative journalism in the region
- Identify and pursue stories that will be impactful and result in accountability
- Proven ability at producing high quality, impactful and original investigations
- An eye for detail and ability to edit meticulously
- A strong regional network of contacts, including among journalists, researchers and sources
- Ability to generate story ideas across the region
- Able to write a compelling narrative from complex investigative material
- Proficient in a combination of either English, French or Portuguese
- Ability to propose, commission and manage stories to a successful conclusion
- Works well under pressure
- Strong communication skills and ability to work in a team
- The ideal candidate would have experience as an investigative journalist for at least five years.
To apply, please email a cover letter, resume, and writing samples to email@example.com. All applications must be submitted in English. Incomplete applications will not be considered. More information can be found here.
Organisation: Organized Crime and Corruption Reporting Project (OCCRP)
Location: Sub-Saharan Africa