The Coalition for Human Rights in Development is a global coalition of social movements, civil society organizations, and grassroots groups working together to ensure that development is community-led and respects, protects, and fulfils human rights.
Current campaigns in the Asia region include: (1) collaborating with communities affected by international investments, and their supporting groups, through the Community Resource Exchange1 (2) advocacy with the Asian Development Bank, Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank and other financial institutions (3) developing proactive protection strategies to support local communities and human rights defenders impacted by development projects and business activities, through the Defenders in Development Campaign.2.
About the position
The Coalition for Human Rights in Development is seeking a Regional Coordinator for Asia to work with the Director and serve as part of the International Secretariat. The Regional Coordinator for Asia will serve as the primary contact and Secretariat representative for the region. The Coordinator will be responsible for member outreach, coordination, and advocacy campaigns to change international development processes and advance human rights in the region. A list of member organisations is available here.
The Coalition for Human Rights in Development have a preference for candidates from and based in the Philippines, however, we are ultimately looking for the ideal candidate in any country in South or South-East Asia.
The ideal candidate will have excellent oral, written and interpersonal communication skills, and experience with social justice organizing or advocacy campaigns. They should be a self-starter, with a strong strategic sense, and a keen attention to organization and detail. They must have the ability to work across different cultural contexts, while being respectful and empathetic.
● Member and Partner Relations:
o Get to know Members and Partners in Asia — especially community groups, social movements groups and national level groups — and map their self declared strengths and priorities, and their ability to engage in rights advocacy; Identify which members and partners have which knowledge, skills and experience to share with others
o Maintain ongoing dialogue with existing members and partners
● Member and Partner Support and Facilitation
o Support outreach activities on the different initiatives of the Coalition and be one of the primary contacts and source of information about the Coalition in the region
o Facilitate communication among members and allies in the region, and broadly as needed
o Collaborate with community groups in the region, and facilitate connections with the skills, tools and resources they need to successfully defend their human rights in development contexts.
o Fully utilise members’ and partners’ skills and experience to deliver learning opportunities, including support them in skill-sharing and exchanges, capacity building, briefings, creating videos; media releases, etc.
o Work directly with members, supporting them to advance specific advocacies or projects
● Member Recruitment
o Work through existing members’ contacts to recruit/engage new members in the region who are aligned with Coalition’s mission
o Utilise existing members to support new members
o Support new members to develop their own plans to engage with the Coalition
● Monitoring of development finance in region:
o Monitor and facilitate exchange of information on
▪ development finance institutions operating in the region; their projects; relevant policies/protocols; implementation record; any proven vulnerabilities;
▪ national and regional human rights context
o Learn from community and social movement engagement about their engagement on development finance activities
o Facilitate shared research and analysis on development finance and human rights
● Mobilizing and Advocacy:
o Organise and support members in the region in coordinated campaigns and advocacy with development banks.
o Supporting members in national level advocacy with their governments.
o Facilitating connections with decision makers in development finance institutions, government and other actors.
o Support in drafting advocacy materials such as letters, case studies, guides, or policy papers, as required
o Develop an annual work plan in conjunction with regional members that highlights regional priority issues and deliverables within the scope of the Regional Coordinator, and implement the plan in close collaboration with members
o Help promote the work of Coalition members and partners through internal and external communications platforms including listservs, blog, website, Twitter and Facebook
o Share in fundraising, reporting, admin, operations and internal coordination workload of the Coalition secretariat as relevant
● Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work across cultural contexts
● Commitment to human rights and social and environmental justice
● Prior experience with human rights or development issues required; preference for those with human rights experience in the context of development finance or economic actors
● Prior advocacy, community organizing, or campaigning experience
● Excellent written and oral communication skills
● Prior experience organizing and facilitating meetings, workshops or events, including gatherings, webinars and trainings.
● Professional proficiency in English required preference for knowledge of other language or languages spoken in Asia
● Strong organizational and project management skills
● Keen attention to detail
● Ability to work well under pressure while juggling multiple tasks
● Ability to work independently as well as function as a member of a team
● Ability to travel occasionally
● Proficiency in MS Office applications
Please upload a cover letter and resume in English, as well as two work samples (e.g. an action alert, blog, or report) before July 4, 2021 to https://rightsindevelopment.org/employment-application/.
See full description here.
Organisation: The Coalition for Human Rights in Development