Location: London, United Kingdom
Syli is a nonprofit organization (UK community interest company) Syli – pronounced SOO-Lee – supports mission-driven journalism in service of informed audiences around the world. They have a specific focus on climate activities.
Syli is looking for a capable and experienced Programme Director for a flagship initiative. The Programme Director will be responsible for overall management and oversight of programme activities, milestones, and staff and strategically managing partner and donor relationships.
In this pivotal position, you will be responsible for creating and running a pioneering initiative on the most important issue facing the news industry. You will lead the team to innovate and deliver mission-driven journalism through training, building networks and leading a new type of conversation about climate reporting. Our flagship programme is confidential – to find out more about the programme, please contact us for an NDA, once signed we are happy to share further information with you.
The position is for an immediate start and is a hybrid role, primarily working remotely but with occasional in-person meetings in either London or Surrey. Candidates must have the right to work in the UK. You will need to ensure you have access to a suitable professional and confidential environment with a reliable internet connection to carry out your duties.
The position is full time over Monday to Friday. This is a fixed term contract ending 31st March 2024. However, pending securing the required funding, we intend for this to become a multi-year programme.
- Launch and grow Syli’s flagship programme.
- Serve as a spokesperson for the programme, and cultivate relationships with beneficiaries, media, partners, donors, funders and other key stakeholders.
- Ensure impact measures are achieved and captured in line with programme and Syli overall objectives.
- Day to day hands-on management of a wide range of operational programme functions including, planning, analysis, monitoring, budgeting, administration and other support activities.
- Line manage programme team members.
- Other work to expand and support Syli’s programmes, including opportunities for new business.
We have identified what we think you’ll need to know and have done, in order to do well in this role. You’ll have a background in journalism or communications alongside experience managing programmes and/or projects. This may be in the media, climate or nonprofit sector.
- At least 5 years successful experience in programme or project management with media, media development, communications / information, non-profit, government or philanthropic funded projects.
- Experience in managing international programmes with strong skills in facilitating innovation, developing training and building productive media industry networks.
- Experience with partnership management, gained working for or in
partnership with an international not for profit organization.
- Experience using social media for business.
- Proven ability to prioritize and handle multiple ongoing tasks and deadlines independently.
- Ability to work autonomously and collaborate as an effective team member.
- Passion for climate reporting, additional languages, and experience with Slack and Google workspace are beneficial.
If this sounds like you, or if you feel that you have what is needed to succeed in this role but your background is a little different from above, we’d love to hear from you. If you’d like to talk to us informally before applying, get in touch.
Please submit a CV and a cover letter, addressing how you are qualified for this role, highlighting the skills, knowledge and experience you bring.
We will review applications as they come in and will follow a set process to reduce bias in selection. The closing date for applications is midday on 28 April 2023. The process will include an initial call during the week commencing 22 May 2023 and final interviews to take place during the week commencing 29 May 2023.